10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 2:02 AM by Deepak Gupta

Access denied and failed to save document error

Grega Jerin

I'm getting these two errors once in a while and when I do I usually lose some work and am looking for solution for some time now. We are a small company - two engineers with two workstations. All our CAD data is saved on one workstation's hard drive. The other workstations has this drive mapped in Windows and is working on files over the network over Linksys Gigabit switch. Our workstation to workstation network speed is fast. I've also tested it with proper software. We are both working in Windows 7 and Solidworks 2014. Sometimes we are working on same project, but each on his own subassemblies. We have Solidworks' Collaboration features in use.

Mentioned problems are only happening on one computer that has main CAD data hard drive mapped and is using network to get to files.

Detailed description of problemis: When working on drawing and trying to save, we suddenly get error "Access denied" and I've learned that I have to save the file on local hard drive and then close SW and overwrite the original file on our main CAD data hard drive. If I close the file I loose all the data from last successful saving. In assembly I sometimes get "Failed to save document". This one is harder to solve because of file references.

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem and what is the best solution for this? We like working over network, because Workgroup PDM software is over our budget for now. It saves us a lot of work, except these errors are not in our favour. I was also thinking if someone can give me some info on PDM software for smaller companies - two workstations max - a third party software that works with SW.