0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 4:00 PM by Thomas Hall

Where used after Rename and Pack and Go

Thomas Hall
      I am testing the SolidWorks>Rename and the SolidWorks Pack and Go functions and am seeing something that does not make sense to me.

I am performing these tests on a part file that is used in a drawing. Both files have been checked in and then checked out.

Duplicating Files

In the Vault view, under the "Contains" tab, the drawing shows a reference to the part and visa versa. Under the "Where Used" tab, the drawing shows no references and the part shows a reference to the drawing. I believe these observations are correct and the way the Vault should be showing the references between these two files.

How I feel we should "duplicate" files. These duplicated files would be independent of the original files and a new name would be assigned. Also the ability of locating the duplicated files to a new folder would exist. Therefore SolidWorks>Pack and Go would appear to be the best choice to accomplish this. Here are my results:

I right mouse click on the files, both the part and the drawing, and select SolidWorks>Pack and Go. I assign a new name to both of the files as well as assign a different folder location. The purpose of a new folder location would only be to assist the users in maintaining some project structure although certain files are used throughout multiple projects.

When I review the files in the Vault I see some differences. In the Vault view, under the "Contains" tab, the new drawing shows a reference to the new part and visa versa. Under the "Where Used" tab, the new drawing shows no references and the new part also shows no references (I believe this should not be so).

Renaming Files

In the Vault view, under the "Contains" tab, the drawing shows a reference to the part and visa versa. Under the "Where Used" tab, the drawing shows no references and the part shows a reference to the drawing. I believe these observations are correct and the way the Vault should be showing the references between these two files.

How I feel we should "rename" files. These renamed files would be independent of the original files, yet still be referenced by the original assemblies these files are used in, and a new name would be assigned. Therefore SolidWorks>Rename would appear to be the best choice to accomplish this. Here are my results:

I right mouse click on the files, both the part and the drawing, and select SolidWorks>Pack and Go. I assign a new name to both of the files as well as assign a different folder location. The purpose of a new folder location would only be to assist the users in maintaining some project structure although certain files are used throughout multiple projects.

When I review the files in the Vault I see some differences. In the Vault view, under the "Contains" tab, the new drawing shows a reference to the new part and visa versa. Under the "Where Used" tab, the new drawing shows no references and the new part also shows no references (I believe this should not be so).

What would you recommend to accomplish these tasks? Why are the part and assembly files not showing that they are used in drawings? Do you have any other recommendations you can think of?