AnsweredAssumed Answered

Creating overmolded parts

Question asked by Christopher Thompson on Oct 1, 2008
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 by Sergey Novikov
What is the best technique for creating an overmolded part in SolidWorks? Creating it as a subassembly or multibody part?

When I last designed an overmolded part in Pro-E, I created a subassembly where the overmolded part was a separate part number with the overmold itself having an in-context reference to surface of the plastic substrate where it is bonded. The overmold would never be made individually, and it showed-up as a reference item only in the part drawing BOM (subassembly).

I have heard of overmolded parts created as a multibody part in a single part file, but I do not know if that is the best approach as I will also need to show the plastic substrate part in a separate part number. What are the Pros & Cons to this approach.

Lastly, my client has suggested a knurl pattern on the overmold as this is for a hand grip. I am thinking it is not necessary for an overmold, but perhaps a dimpled appearance could be added for cosmetic reasons. I would appreciate any links or recommendations.

Chris Thompson

SW Office Premium 2007

Outcomes