11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 4:36 PM by Ben Heath

Need Help Forming Solid

Ben Heath
      This part was imported. For some reason it has 2 tiny solid bodies, and 1 large surface. I need the whole thing to be a solid!
        • Need Help Forming Solid
          Jan Van Leeuwen
          Why not just RMB delete the solids? There not adding any function to the part as far as I can see.
              Phil Marra
              The easiest way to make this part solid? Go back to whom ever created it and have them fix it. The 2 solid bodies look to be an EC that was added. You can see the lack of attention where the fillet abruptly ends. Also look at the missing faces on one of the bosses. The boss issue was prob. a translation problem. Can you post the original file you received?
              Alan Stoldt

Ben Heath wrote:

This part was imported. For some reason it has 2 tiny solid bodies, and 1 large surface. I need the whole thing to be a solid!

Solid Body 1

Appears to be internal to the part and could be delted as far as I can see.

Solid Body 2

Looks like it may have been added as an afterthought (If you hide this SB, you will notice the Fillet surface in continuous) , not sure what the intent was here, if it is a customer supplied part file, you may want to verify this area.

Surface Body 1

Missing faces in this area need to be replaced, then you may possibly be able to Knit and try to Form Solid.

If that doesn't work, you can try exporting out again to a new file name and perhaps a Parasolid. Import it again and run Import Diags. Sometimes I've had to do this several times to get to a solid part I could use.

HTH
                Ben Heath
                That's problem-I am unable to get the native files! I am trying to figure out the easiest and fastest way to go about this. I still have problems with the other side as well.

What is RMB Delete?
                  Alan Stoldt
                  RMB = Right Mouse Button

RMB Delete = If you RMB on a feature in the Feature Tree, you can the choose Delete from the menu that pops up.
                    Ben Heath
                    RMB=right mouse button, got it. I tried deleting those bad faces from the manager tree and it seemed to just make things worse.
                        Alan Stoldt
                        Ben,

As stated above, if you received this file from a customer, ask them to resend it in some other format. STeP, Parasolid or Iges.

If you post the Original File as a Zipped file, others can try to open/process it and may have different results.

I am unable to get the native files!

So, you started with a Solidworks file like this?
                            Phil Marra
                            Ben,
                            You are missing the point that Alan and I are trying to make. What format did you receive the file in? Step, igs, sat, x_t ect? Post that file and through the magic of conversions there may be a way to open it in a better state. Did this file come to you with a .sldprt extension? If thats the case you are correct there is not much that can be done without extensive rework.
                          Ben Heath
                          Yes, this came with a .sldprt extension, however, in the design tree there are no features, only it only says "imported".
                            Ben Heath
                            Steven-I agree with you 100%! I, along with you and many others who are helping me out, find that this file was created in a poor manner-lots of weird things going on. At this point it is probably just easier to wait for the native file rather than taking the time to clean it up!