4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2008 2:37 PM by Anna Wood

Sheet Metal Drawings

Todd Mendez
      Do you show your critical dimensions where they are critical on the Folded Views?

Do you also show those in a different orientation on the flat pattern to locate them there as well??

Do you show all dims in the Folded and Flat or just one or the other?

I'm trying to figure out which is best or most common for other sheet metal drawings. I have multiple vendors and would like to send out .pdfs for other quotes, so I need to develop a "common practice" for my company, but I'm new to major sheet metal designs.

• Sheet Metal Drawings
          Gabe Biertzer
          Todd,

Here's my thoughts...

Knowing that your goal is to deal with multiple vendors, definitely detail your driving dimensions (including bend radii) in the folded views. Flat views should typically be limited to overall reference dimensions and reference dimensions to brake lines. It is also good practice to provide reference notes for bend angle and direction on the flat view.

The reason for this practice is because your vendors may use slightly different bend radii and K-factors depending on their standard tooling and standard processes. By dimensioning the part in the formed state, you are indicating that the final formed part dimensions are whats critical. Afterall, it's the formed part that must pass form, fit and function. How they get there is up to the vendor.
          • Sheet Metal Drawings
            Kenneth Barrentine
            for us, zero flat views. i don't want a flat part, i want a folded part.

therefore we only supply a drawing of a sheetmetal part in the folded state.

the sheetmetal vendors we use are professionals, they're very good at generating flats based on their tooling. the cam software they use is far superior to solidworks in regards to k-factors/corner relief's, etc.
              • Sheet Metal Drawings
                Anna Wood
                I agree with Ken....

If we sent out all of our sheet metal to a vendor it would be finished views in the folded state only, dimensioned and toleranced appropriately for the form, fit, function of the part. Also a solid model would be sent to the vendor.

They can develop their own flat blank.

We bend metal in house, wish all of our customers would send us info like I describe above.

Cheers,