4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2008 2:15 PM by Eddie Cyganik

    Dimensioning Question

    Tim Coble
      I know if I have 2 dims that are very close I can offset one of the extension lines when using ordinate dimensioning. Is there a way to do this for other types of dimensions. The attached jpeg is from an old ACAD drawing for a part I used as a basis for a new model. You can see that the 2 diameters are very close in value and, without the offset, it would be difficult to distinguish between them.

      I know I could fake it in: draw sketch lines, dimension and overwrite the value. But is there a "proper way" to do it"?

      What isn't shown on the attached is the level of detail that was involved on the left side that I was fortunately able to delete from my new design so I just moved the dimension to the left. But if you couldn't move the dimension, how would you solve the problem?

      Looking forward to seeing your responses.
        • Dimensioning Question
          Steven Dinsdale
          I believe what you are looking for is a feature in 2009. As for other ways to dimension it, there are a few - datums, detail view, move dimension to actual feature, etc.

          • Dimensioning Question
            Eddie Cyganik


            When working with standard linear dimensioning, the only accepted method for rearrangement is a "slanted" dimension per ASME Y14.5M. SolidWorks does provide for this dimension type. To set it, select the dimension in question, then hover your cursor over the end of an extension line and note that the cursor feed back will change to a "slanted dimension". At this point, simply select the end point and drag to either side dropping in a position that clearifies your dimensioning scheme.
            • Dimensioning Question
              Tim Coble

              I tried what you described and I can drag the extension line but I don't get a cursor change. Interesting because the help file for that says it should change too. Thanks for the help. I dusted off our office copy of the standard and found "oblique extension lines", I probably knew that at some point but sure didn't remember it until you mentioned it.

              Thanks again.