It is difficult to troubleshoot something like this without reviewing the card, but i would see if
adding the search in all versions check box to the card impacts it positively and then review any default values
saved in the card.
I find a good approach to search card design is not to go from zero to 60 but rather start with something working and then incrementally
test it after a few modifications. That will help you isolate where your design changes take a u-turn.
Sorry about all the car parallels!
Found the issue!
So when I use the "History text" variable, it searches through all the history variables (label, comments, config, variables,etc.) The default value is set to true. To solve this, I added all of them to my data Card. However, I went to the default values in the card properties. You can preset to false the history search criteria (or other variables) from here. So to start a search only my configs are true the other criteria are false. You don't have to show them on the data card either.