9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 5:23 PM by Ram Myana

Show grid lines in PDF/printing

John Bjerke
      I want to have the grid lines that I can turn on in a drawing show up in the PDF I save of it, or print it out. I have searched, but not found anything on this. Any ideas?
        • Show grid lines in PDF/printing
          If the grid line can be printed out, that should be considered as a bug.
              Anna Wood
              John,

I think you are going to need to create your own gridlines in your drawing. The ones in SW are not intended to be printed out.

Maybe set up a gridline layer in your slddrw and save that as a template. That way you could toggle them on and off.

EDIT: See Shaodun's replies below. You can print the grid in drawings, the key is how you go about creating your pdf. I learned something new today.... :-)

Cheers,

John Bjerke
                  Anna, for now, this is what I have done.

I would still prefer the internal SW grid lines though as they would be easier to manipulate spacing. I could then use the API to get the value of the spacing and place it in a note on the page somewhere.

I still might be able to use the API to get the spacing of my own grid line spacing some way, but I haven't looked into it yet.

I was more looking to use a feature that is already built into SW than to create something myself.
                  John Bjerke

Shaodun Lin wrote:

My understanding is that the grid lines were designed to be used for reference when placing views, notes, etc.. which is fine, but not what I intend to use them for. Why not have a document option that allows the grid lines to be printed. In excel you have the option to print grid lines.
                      Anna Wood
                      John,

That would probably make a good enhancement request.

Cheers,

John Bjerke wrote:

Shaodun Lin wrote:

My understanding is that the grid lines were designed to be used for reference when placing views, notes, etc.. which is fine, but not what I intend to use them for. Why not have a document option that allows the grid lines to be printed. In excel you have the option to print grid lines.

Obviously I made a mistake with my previous statement.
                        The grid line can be printed out if you turn in on in drawing.
                        But the origin of grid line is reference to specific view and it's not fixed to the drawing origin point.

I tried this in SW2008sp4.0 with CutePDF printer.
                      John Bjerke
                      Shaodun, I also used CutePDF but the grid did not show up. Maybe this has changed from 2007 to 2008? I am on 2007sp5.0, but may upgrade to '09 here in the next couple weeks or so and can try it then to see if the grid shows up. Would it be possible for you to try a save as PDF and see if they show up? That is how I usually save these drawings, rather than print as PDF.

I am not concerned about the origin of the grid. We plan to let non-SW users look at the PDFs with the grid to estimate lengths. As long as they are on the drawing that is what is important.
                        Hi John.
                        In SW2008sp4.0, save as PDF did not show grid line when the grid line is turned on in drawing, This is the same for SW2009sp0. the only way to show the grid line is using Print function instead of save as.
                        • Re: Show grid lines in PDF/printing
                          Ram Myana

UNCHECK PRINT GRID CHECK BOX IN PRINT DIALOG BOX