3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 12:54 PM by Michael Dekoning

EPDM renaming not carrying through

Mike Price

Hi all,

I have three files checked into EPDM.  A sldprt, slddrw, and a sldasm.

I rename (right click the file and click rename).  Open the slddrw and it recognizes the drawing, open the sldasm and it says it can't find the file.

Clearly I must be doing something wrong?  Also, when I do a rename, I do not get the option to select the references as I did in SW explorer.

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: EPDM renaming not carrying through
          Ryan McVay

EPDM is not SW Explorer. It basically comes down to SW doesn't really know about EPDM and EPDM doesn't know about SW. You made changes to a data record (filename) but SW doesn't recognize the change in its internal file references.

Mike Price

What I have found out is that I must have the files checked in for EPDM to retain the references.  EPDM is acting like SW Explorer by finding external references (without prompting me which reference documents I want my rename to carry through to) once I have the files checked in.

I can checkout the files or have them checked in, but once they have initially be checked in, I can rename one and not lose references through EPDM.

What I did wrong was have the sldasm not checked in.  Even though it was in my local vault, I was not able to rename the part and have it carry through to the assy until the assy was renamed.

I am quite aware that EPDM is not SW Explorer, but sure would be nice to for them to have provided some of the same capabilities.....

Michael Dekoning

Mike,

SW Explorer itself allows you to do things (rename, search, copy) similar to having a PDM system. It is also a client for PDM workgroup which doesn't include a database. EPDM works differently as it was designed for dispersed groups of users. The changes aren't written to the database until you check in the file(s).