6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 2:20 AM by Mark Greenwell

Correct place to re-name parts in Weldments

Mark Greenwell

Hi All,

Not had to use Weldments much in the past, but looking to update a few old drawing's and have a small issue.

After creating the frame I need to re-name the section / plates to something I can relate to in the Feature Tree.

At present I am re-naming both the part and the feature (giving them the same name) in the Cut List

This way the name appears in the Feature Tree and shows in the list when I am in the Cut List Properties.

And also the correct name appears when Auto Assigning names when saving out bodies.

Is this the only / correct way of doing this, as I am changing info twice. Would you ever change the Beam / Plate info under Weldment (at the bottom of the Feature Tree). Or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2016 sp4)

• Re: Correct place to re-name parts in Weldments
          Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi Mark,

There is no objection with the renaming procedure for the your workflow purposes.

Herein, I would like to mention to some points which you may find them helpful.

In order to see the desired name for each every one of the solid bodies appearing on 'save body' command, the solid body under each cutlist category has to be renamed, as you did. This has nothing to do with the cutlist category name. In fact, your example is a bit unique wherein you have only one solid body under each cutlist item category. Generally, cutlist items include more than one body; having said that, its name reflects the parent name for those child (solid bodies). On your last question, renaming the features at the bottom of FMDT is optional. The feature tree would be more organized, and it would be easier for the other team members to follow your design steps more easily.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

- Siavash

Mark Greenwell

Hi Slavish,

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping that I was naming parts in the wrong area as now if I want to use the 'Save bodies' command I have to re-name twice.

I will think about not using the 'saving bodies' out option and just use the Relative View or Select Bodies option to create additional drawings.

If changing the info at the bottom of the FT doesn't effect anything II will leave alone.

One last thing could you explain when a cut list item would have more than one body.

When I do mine I just put one beam per sketch line then chose a new group and select another line etc

Thanks

Mark

Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi Mark,

First, lets review what is the best practice for picking multiple segments in a weldment group. To be part of the same group, path segments must be either: 1) connected end-to-end or 2) disconnected but parallel to each other. Having said that if the profiles are with the same size, it is better to pick them in a group according to the guidelines mentioned above.

On the other hand, once the option for automatic cutlist creation is activated, software will make decision to how to categorize them under various cutlist items. But, there is always plan B! If you would like to move a solid body from one cutlist item to another, simply select, drag and drop it into another cutlist. However, the moment you do this, a warning tells you that the automatic update for the cutlist is turned off. Please note that if you click on automatic update option, that solid body moves back to its original place.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

- Siavash

Mark Greenwell

Hi Siavash,

Just to be clear on plate I do have more than one body and have re-named as shown for 1F112. For the section I only have one body.

Thanks

Mark

Alin Vargatu

One more thing. There are quite a few nice macros on this forum for renaming bodies and cut-list items in bulk.