7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 10:05 AM by Michael Dekoning

Renaming/copying in EPDM when offline

Mike Price

Hi all,

I am not extremely familiar with EPDM, but generally understand the system.  However, when I am offline, if I copy (ctrl-c) a part and a drawing (drawing is drawing of the part for which I am copying) from my desktop or some other non-EPDM folder, and then go to paste (ctrl-v) into the EPDM vault while I am OFFLINE, I get the following error:

9-5-2016 7-03-18 PM.jpg

So....what I do is have an EPDM folder open and a folder with these files in them and then drag the files over to EPDM.  It will then copy the files......again, this is in offline mode.

So now that I have 793-18 part and drawing in EPDM, I know that I do not use SW explorer (for which I have a deep affection), but just right click the file and select rename.  So of course now I rename the part, go to open the drawing, and as I was not prompted with any reference update as I am in SW explorer, I am suspect of whether or not the slddrw was updated with the correct reference.  Drawing fails as it is looking for the old part number.......

Please advise.  I have users (including me) that will use EPDM offline a lot and this will only make us work locally, then move files over to EPDM when we get back online....

Thanks for the help in advance,

Mike

• Re: Renaming/copying in EPDM when offline
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Mike, I searched through the Solidworks Knowledge Base, and it looks like this is a reported bug:

However there is a workaround noted:

Files can be copied using command prompt or can be saved using save as from base application ( like notepad for text files)

I would ask your VAR to put you on the notifcation list for this SPR, so that when it is implemented you will be notified.

Kind regards

Prasad

Mike Price

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know anything about the renaming issue?

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Mike, I believe that the renaming functionality in EPDM only really works when the files are checked in, as that is when EPDM can update the references. If working offline I would imagine that it would not work as the files are effectively local and not within the vault.

Kind regards

Prasad

Mike Price

Thanks again.  So would it be the practice to use SW Explorer for renaming while the files are local under EPDM?  Obviously by keeping in EPDM file/folder structures, the references will go when they get checked in versus having local non-EPDM folders and then dealing with the missing references issues once they are checked in.  For example, I begin a new job.  Don't even have P/N's.  I then copy other parts from other jobs.  Doing all of this local EPDM.  Now I want to rename everything before I check it all in, maybe I am not going to check in the native SW files quite yet, but will be creating PDF's and Parasolids for manufacturing and then emailing them to vendors.  Again, would I handle everything through SW Explorer?

Thanks!

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Mike, I would caution against that. It could potentially cause lots of reference issues.

I'm not sure what the best strategy for you and your team is, I can only tell you that EPDM will update references for you when you rename/move files if they are checked in. Even with files checked out you can rename locally, but you would probably have to repair the reference in SolidWorks manually.

Have you spoken with your VAR about this issue? They can probably get some advice from SolidWorks as well, since it is a bug that is causing this issue for you when working offline.

Kind regards

Prasad

Mike Price

Thanks Prasad.  I understand the SW Explorer/EPDM does not mix however, if all my files are only local, why would you caution against this practice?  The bug you referenced is the copying and pasting, not renaming.  If I can't rename files in EPDM until I check them in, then my only option would be SW Explorer, correct?

Hoping that there will be others that have to practice this type of workflow and have determined the best practice in doing so.....

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Dekoning

Mike,

As Prasad said, it would be advisable to discuss this with your VAR. Using SW Explorer will ensure that the file references in the SW assembly aren't broken. However, EPDM stores reference information in the database as well which isn't available when you are working offline. Therefore, the information in the database will be out of sync with the information in the files.