1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 8:28 AM by Thomas Voetmann

Basic Surface Thicken Error

Armand Matossian

Hello all,

I am baffled by why this simple surface is not thickening. I am experienced with surface modeling and created this basic shape with the proper four boundaries for a boundary surface. Evaluating the curvature shows no signs of tight radii, the mesh shows zero singularities and it is a stand alone surface with no joining surfaces. Any ideas?

• Re: Basic Surface Thicken Error
          Thomas Voetmann

3-sided surfaces are always a pain. Even when you divide one side into two. Your problem area is where Sketch10 meets Sketch17.

If I trim away just 1/150000 in it will offset. Doing this you will also see that the offset surface is divided into two surfaces. This is often a danger sign.

Another way to create you surfaces is using Filled Surface instead of Boundary Surface. I know the geometry is slightly different and you have less control, but it could save your day.

Finally sometimes Loft Surface produces a better result regarding boundary conditions though I generally prefer Boundary Surface. And in this case Loft Surface does make an offsettable surface.