17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 7:39 AM by David Grieser

'Save as' question...

David Grieser

If I use a part on multiple assemblies, can I Save-As the part to the different project directories, then if i need to change that part, will the change propagate through all the other directories in which it is saved?  Thanks!!

• Re: 'Save as' question...
          Paul Risley

My question would be:"WHY".

I know that you probably have a reason but I could see this being a huge issue, especially if 2 of the assemblies were opened at the same time.

I could see Solidworks having a cage fight with file locations for 2 parts that are the same being opened with 2 different file paths.

John Pesaturo

I would have to say no. If you save it as a different part it will not propagate to anything it may have been previously saved as.

However, you can use the same part in multiple assemblies that can be saved anywhere you like and any changes you make to the part will change anywhere it has been referenced.

Christian Chu

The best way is to add configurations to the part and then in different assemblies, you can use the same part with diff. configurations

which is the same part for diff. projects

Glenn Schroeder

David Grieser wrote:

if i need to change that part, will the change propagate through all the other directories in which it is saved? Thanks!!

Probably not, but I wouldn't depend on it.  I'm not clear on whether or not you want it to.  If you want the changes to propagate to all instances, then don't do the Save As operation.  Just leave one version in one location and use it in all assemblies.  If you don't want the changes to propagate to all instances, then save it to a new name when doing the Save As.

David Grieser

I'm used to XREF in Autocad.

I won't try it if it causes problems in Solidworks.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Frank Krockenberger

David,

let me add to what was already said,

If you search our network folders for a file you will find several copies maybe 10 or so with the same name,

so which one am I supposed to use????

David Grieser

Thats why i was hoping there was an equal to XREF from Autocad.

Im trying to get into SW, but being with Autodesk for over 30 years, it is definitely an adjustment!

Good points all of you! Thanks!

Glenn Schroeder

David Grieser wrote:

Im trying to get into SW, but being with Autodesk for over 30 years, it is definitely an adjustment!

Good luck.  If you'll be open-minded about SolidWorks, and not expect it to work like AutoCAD, in no time you'll get the hang of it and be throwing rocks at AutoCAD.

Paul Risley

Can I like something more than once? As a machine builder we had to use Autocad to make drawings of parts we added in/ on to our machines so there was a record. So when I got the chance to go back to college and learn Solidworks I was more than ecstatic.

I use Autocad what it was intended for,laying out my house and moving furniture around so my wife can decide where she wants the fricking sofa.

J. Mather

If you want to replicate xref then there is no reason for you to Save As.

Use the same part file wherever you need it in any assembly.

Then if you edit the original - all uses are updated.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious here?

David Grieser

So if I insert a part into an assembly, then save-as to another file name, and I change the original inserted part, that will propagate to the new drawing i created?

If so , that will work.

I created a directory called "common", so all the part i create in this directory and insert into an assembly is the same as XREF, in a matter of speaking?

Thanks!

John Stoltzfus

I wouldn't recommend that at all, I ran into pretty big issues doing that same thing years ago, but I was doing Pack and Go and I had multiple copies of the same part file, with the same name, what a huge mess that was.  To truly rebuild a part you need to open and rebuild, so you can imagine that when I modified a component it would change every part like it, but no way, I even feel stupid now that I even did it, but it is what it is......

What I would highly recommend is to create a folder where you store all your interchangeable components, preferably in your Library Folder, that way when you need that part drag it into your assembly and mate it, you can also add mate references to the part to cut down the assembly mating time..

Multiple files of the same name or the same references will crush you later, just say'n....

David Grieser

Very good thoughts...

Thanks for the feedback, I'm understanding from what you just said , how Solidworks is managing their links and how the save-as actually works. I will setup my library folder.

I just ordered the Solidworks 2016 Essential Training video set from Amazon, saw a couple demos, the guy was very easy to learn from. Hopefully these can clear some things up!

Thanks all for the help!

Paul Risley

David,

In Solidworks you do not need to re-create the part.

Example:

Part A goes into assembly 1.

You are working on assembly 2, and need Part A again. Insert Part A from the same folder(Common).

You re-use the same part in every assembly it is needed in.(From the same folder, no need to use the save as command for that part)

When you need to make a change to Part A it will update in all assemblies as soon as they are opened up.

This is one of the things that makes Solidworks intuitive, you have one model named Part A used in multiple assemblies, you change a feature on Part A it will then update all assemblies where it was used.

Depending on what you change in Part A could affect the assemblies you have used it in prior to that change. Just something to be aware of. Solidworks relies on mates to keep it's assembly structure. Where as in Autocad it was a coordinate system and everything is pretty much pre-defined. So if you change Part A and it affects a mate in 1 of your assemblies it could take some time to fix those errors.

Steve Calvert

IMHO, you should never have the same part located in different locations.  You are asking for troubles, especially without a PDM system in place.  The easy thing to try would be to have a "common" spot for components that could be used in multiple assemblies, hardware comes to mind but also could be used for anything.

Steve C