Jim Sculley

Is On Site VAR training/support needed for SOLIDWORKS Electrical 2D?

Discussion created by Jim Sculley on Sep 1, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 by Peter De Vlieger

We are considering moving from AutoCAD Electrical to SW Electrical.  Our VAR is suggesting one or more days of on-site support including

• software installation
  • admin orientation
  • end user training
  • custom library/project setup
  • sample project/go-live support
  • project admin/documentation

Along with working with SOLIDWORKS Pro (since SW 98) on a daily basis, I currently administer our system for the other SOLIDWORKS users including admin image creation, EPDM design/setup/maintenance, custom programming (SW Macros and EPDM add-ins in VBA and C#) and general user training/support.  I am primarily a mechanical guy.  I can read a schematic, but have no experience with electrical design.  Our electrical group is small.  Really small.  Three users.  One is an intern, one does primarily PCB design using other tools and the third is the Engineering Manager.

The current electrical process is that there is no process.  Very little organization and a relatively small amount of legacy data.  A simple file search reveals approximately 250 components in their library and about 375 AutoCAD Electrical projects created over the past 8 years.

Our current thinking is that we will simply start all new projects using SW Electrical, and recreate any legacy projects on an as-needed basis.  I would liek to have a system that includes some automation and integrates well with the system we have in place for our mechanical group.  The Engineering Manager wants to have a system where no one has to spend a significant amount of time administering it.

Having said all that, for those of you using SW Electrical 2D I have a few questions:

1. Did you use the VAR provided on-site support?
  2. If so, how many users and how much data were you dealing with?  How many days did it take?
  3. If not, do you wish that you had?
  4. Given my description of our background and experience do you think there would be a return on investment for the on-site support?
  5. Is the day to day administration of SW Electrical a minor inconvenience or a major hassle?

Outcomes