AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using macro to update drawing rev from excel

Question asked by Cody Kirsch on Sep 1, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 by Cody Kirsch

First some background:

So I work a lot with building (like an actual building, a noun not a verb) were we don't really do individual part drawings just multiple displays of a top level assembly and sub assemblies for building instructions. So I cant really do this by adding a custom properties to the parts or assemblies because the assembly may change but if its at the end of the construction phase it wont affect the previous drawings.      

The problem:

I am trying to come up with a macro that will

1) Look take the name of the drawing

2) Open a specific excel file

3) Find that drawing name and collect the rev information

4) Then update the rev table

I already have a macro that can do 1-3, but am having a hard time thinking of a good way to do 4. My first thought was to add properties to the drawing, but then I need to have all the call outs (I dont know what their called but the $PROPERTIES{VALUE} text used in the sheet format) for each rev and all the rev info (by, description, date, ect.). But this is the only way I can think of that will work. I'm not sure how I could identify a table using the SW API as it doesn't seem to be an object in the drawing. The only other way I can think of is to have the macro add a note at specific XY points depending of the rev but then if the drawing rev table were to change that would be a pain to re configure.

Outcomes