5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2016 3:16 PM by Brian Cannon

Solidworks PDM Standard - Unable to Configure Toolbox in the Vault

Brian Cannon

I have moved our shared Toolbox (the Solidworks Data Folder) to our Vault, and everything went smoothly. Our models in the vault are referenced correctly with the toolbox components, and Toolbox access works fine with my users.

However, when I try to configure the Toolbox, I get a popup request to log in. I log in as Admin and put in the password. The same box comes up again. I repeat and put in the password. I then get a message saying "You do not have sufficient permissions to configure toolbox".

In Solidworks PDM Administration, Admin has full rights to everything including Toolbox.

Any ideas what I am missing? Thanks in advance.

• Re: Solidworks PDM Standard - Unable to Configure Toolbox in the Vault
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Brian, this may be the case if SQL Express is configured to use dynamic ports rather than static (which is the default behavior)

You can configure SQL Express to use a static port such as 1433 or 1434 if its a named instance of SQL Express. There are instructions in the PDM Installation Guide on how to achieve this (see attached)

Also see S-056014 in the SolidWorks Knowledge Base: What causes the error 'you do not have sufficient permissions to configure Toolbox' when trying to configure a Toolbox managed in SOLIDWORKS® Enterprise PDM from a 64 bit client?

This can be caused when the SQL server is a named instance that is using dynamic ports.

Additional error messages may include 'could not find server <hostname>\<instancename>' and 'Error: failed to get enterprise PDM root folder.  You haven't logged in on the file vault'.  This can be seen when trying to configure the Toolbox either from SolidWorks or from the Toolbox Configurator.  Despite the error message this is not caused by permissions settings.

This error is caused by a missing registry entry on 64 bit client machines that enable connectivity to a named instance SQL server that is using dynamic ports.

To resolve the issue, update the registry.  See solution S-021323 which describes the registry key needed to be added to the client systems to allow connectivity to the SQL server for normal logins, etc:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo with a string value of the <hostname>\<instancename> = DBMSSOCN,<hostname>\<instancename>,1433

However, for configuring Toolbox, there needs to be an additional entry in the 32 bit section of the registry.  The following registry key should be added in addition to the one above and the client system rebooted:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo with a string value of the <hostname>\<instancename> = DBMSSOCN,<hostname>\<instancename>,1433

Hope this helps

Prasad

• Re: Solidworks PDM Standard - Unable to Configure Toolbox in the Vault
            Brian Cannon

My VAR has finally come up with the answer. Apparently SOLIDWORKS 2015 Toolbox is NOT supported in PDM Standard 2016.

There is a bulletin in the Knowledge Base called S-070604.

It says:

"The use of SOLIDWORKS 2015 and earlier toolbox within SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard 2016 will not work. 

Configuration of toolbox in SOLIDWORKS 2015 and earlier versions will fail with 'you do not have sufficient permissions to configure toolbox' error if managed in SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard 2016.

Nothing blocks the use of the SOLIDWORKS 2015 software with the SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard 2016 add-in. However, since this is not a support scenario, it is possible that you will experience problems with this configuration. If that is the case, the logical first step to take is to run both products at the same major version level to determine if the issue persists."

I guess we will have to migrate to 2016 or 2017 after all.