6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 3:04 PM by Jeremy Feist

Layer Print Visibility

Justin Fazio

We just upgraded from 2014 to 2016 and notice that some of our layers are show up set to "not print".  Is there any way to change the default so that all drawings open with all layers set to print?  I am not sure why some layers on some drawings are turned off while others are just fine.

• Re: Layer Print Visibility
          John Stoltzfus

As far as I remember there was always little glitches like that if you waited a while before you upgraded.  What I would do is make the layers and everything like you want it then save the templates again.  I made it a habit to load my drafting standards for each new open in 2016, you can set that up and save here

Then when you open a 2014 file, the Load From External File

Justin Fazio

We have updated all of our templates so that will help with all of our new drawings.  The issue that we are having is that we do a lot of pack and go jobs.  All of them need to be updated.  We usually don't realize the layer is turned off until after we print it because the drawings are not consistent.  It would be nice if all of the layers were turned on by default and we had to turn them off if we didn't want them printed.

John Stoltzfus

Sometimes it takes a while for things to work their way through and keep your ears open, there could be a macro that you could run before you pack and go..  I have 3 that I run before I print or pack, one that rebuilds my model, goes through every view in the drawing opens the part or assembly rebuilds and closes, another one that reloads all my sheet formats and since I use multiple sheets in my drawing files I have cover pages that I don't want counted in my Sheet 1 of ....  So I run that one as my final one.

Vladimir Urazhdin

SW has the handy Copy Settings Wizard Tools to Save/Restore ALL Settings, include Drafting:

WIZARD.JPG

Jeremy Feist

we ran into this too when we went to 2015. if the layer was hidden when the file was last saved in the previous version, it defaults to "do not print" when the file gets converted. there is currently no way to change this behavior.

if you ask nicely in the API/Macro section, they can likely whip you up a Macro to set all layers to print. it may even be able to run through all of your existing files, if you wanted.