4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 10:26 AM by Greg Rupp

How do I restore a deleted group?

John Bergin

EPDM Admin newbie here. While working with permissions I inadvertently renamed a group, then assumed I had just erroneously created a new group, so I deleted it. . Is there a way to restore the group? If the group is restored or rebuilt would all of the previously set permissions - to files, folders, workflows, etc. - still be intact?  Thanks!

jb

• Re: How do I restore a deleted group?
          Steve Ostrovsky

No, there is no way to "restore" a Group once it's deleted. You'll just need to recreate it, set permissions and add users.

John Bergin

Thanks Steve!

I've since learned the value of periodically exporting a CEX file for such situations.

Steve Ostrovsky

There you go. Didn't think about that but it would work great. Groups are simply containers and the settings are actually stored in the database via the User accounts. When you import the Group you won't get all of the settings so you'll have redo that part of it. Maybe think about documenting your configuration with screen shots in a Word, Excel type document. Would also allow others behind you to know what you've done. Not sure how many users do this, but I would if I were in the production world.

Greg Rupp

I tried this yesterday and very few of the permissions carry over.

I created a new group. Added a few permissions and users. Exported it. Deleted it. Imported it and hardly anything was restored. This was all within the same vault.

The only settings that get imported are the Administrative Permissions and the Warnings (I did not try cache settings). All other settings, users, etc. do not get imported. I also tried it by doing a full export of the vault and another of just the groups. Neither worked.

Is this normal behavior? Has anyone else tested importing groups?