6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 11:25 AM by Vinoth Kanna

Weldment cut list not populating properly....

Kevin Andrews

OK - I have recently started using weldments. I can create the weldment and add in non-library items..like plates. However, the plate will not be called out correctly in the cut list.

If i go back to the part, click on the cut list icon, find the item in question and right click - properties.....I get this screen

So, I enter the information like this:

It sends this to my cut list:

Not how it changed the material, which was correct before, to that bug long cluster-smuck of stuff....

What is the proper way of doing this for the right result?

• Re: Weldment cut list not populating properly....
          Paul Risley

My simple answer is there is no solidworks material applied to the cutlist items you are seeing this on. In your values pop up box, look at the column "equates to" this is what will show up in your cut list. Which is what you are seeing in your cut list on your drawing. Either the welded bodies in question have no material applied or their name was manually changed. RMB on any of those you are seeing in your cut list and apply a material out of the data base, then update your cut list and it should update with an actual material.

Depending on how your cut list was created for your drawing you may need to delete it out of your drawing and re-insert it to update the cut list properties. Some cut list templates do not update with material changes.

Good luck.

Glenn Schroeder

Kevin Andrews wrote:

I can create the weldment and add in non-library items..like plates. However, the plate will not be called out correctly in the cut list.

What is the proper way of doing this for the right result?

Make plate a library item.  See Using Plate in Weldments.

Kevin Andrews

Paul - there actually was a material applied to it before I made the changes. As soon as I made the change, however, it reverted to that awful monstrosity of a material listing you saw above. However, I would like to come back around to something else you said at the end of this post.

Glenn - that would be fine if it was just plate I was using..but I have other items that i add in when I need to. While that is an answer to my question, it wasn't really what I was looking for. No offense intended. I was looking for a way to modify what I had and have it come out the right way....AND I FOUND THE WAY TO DO IT.

From the part drawing, or weldment drawing (if you will), I clicked on the cut list folder so that it would expand all of the material listed. Then, I manually changed the names to what you see below:

**Please note that the material selected is AISI 304 for all members**

After doing a little further research, I think the problem was the use of the inch (") mark in the names when I did this before. Note that there aren't any unit designations listed in the names...

Then, I RMB and chose properties:

Set my property name to DESCRIPTION using the pill-down box, and then manually entered the Value: PLATE, 3" x 3" x 1/4" INNER TUBE CAP

**ALL OF THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE EVER STARTING THE DRAWING or at least before CREATING THE CUT LIST**

With these steps, it produced the following:

Which is EXACTLY what I was looking for....

Thank you for your inputs, but I believe i found this on my own...

Now, Paul....

"RMB on any of those you are seeing in your cut list and apply a material out of the data base, then update your cut list and it should update with an actual material."

When I RMB, I see nothing that allows me to change the material. I have saw where a few people have said that it is possible to change the material in this fashion..guess I am doing something wrong. BTW, i am RMB on the file in the cut list. Is this correct?

Paul Risley

cut list.JPG

Your folder represents all of the items that are in that particular grouping. If you expand them to show you the bodies this is where you can apply materials,(note there will be a test on this one later.)

Now you can apply materials directly to your parts as they need to be. A good example of this is I have a frame with welded plate, I am mounting Mic-6 cast plate after the weldment is rough machined. I now want my Mic-6  plate machined after it is mounted on the frame. I could make assemblies, but those that know me best know I am lazy and will use a weldment along with configurations to make this all 1 part in a weldment.

This is where the above comes in handy for more than just materials you can change the displays of bodies and create display states to reflect how you want the weldment processed.I use this feature extensively because our in house welder likes to cut everything up, start in a corner and just tack everything together then weld it and go "by gosh it doesn't work."

So I create very specific weld instruction drawings and display states and configurable cut lists work really well for this.

Ok probably more info than you needed, but you can see if you play around with the weldments and all of the features available there is a lot of value there. Just need to make them do what you need them to.

Vinoth Kanna

Hi kevin,

Thanks for your valuable information it saved my time.I am searching for almost an hour. You saved me. I want to add one point in your post. I have attached a snap below if we unselect this option, we don't need to change this (") charcter.