10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 11:01 AM by Paul Risley

Linear Dimension: Extension Lines not parallel when skewed

Iain Hendry

When skewing a dimension, these lines should be parallel.  They are not.

Grab this handle:

Pull down.  Note that the two extension lines are not parallel to one another.

• Re: Linear Dimension: Extension Lines not parallel when skewed
          Josh Brady

Cannot reproduce issue in 2015 SP5 or 2016 SP3.

Please state SW release version and SP.  Also upload offending files.

Iain Hendry

Add a dimension between two holes by dimensioning between the centre marks.

Josh Brady

Sorry for my previous post's brevity.  Apparently it produced an inadequate understanding on your part of the best route to determining a solution to your problem.  Please check the translation key below:

"Cannot reproduce issue in 2015 SP5 or 2016 SP3":

Hi, Ian,

I'm terribly sorry you are having this issue.  Unfortunately, when I tried those steps on my own computer, which is running SolidWorks 2015 sp5, and another computer running SolidWorks 2016 sp3, the lines for the skewed dimension were parallel, no matter what I tried.  I attached the leaders to both holes.  I attached the leaders to both centermarks.  I stretched out one of the centermark extension lines.  I attached to one hole and one centermark.  In no case was I able to create skewed extension lines that were not parallel.

"Please state SW release version and SP":

Sometimes things get fixed or broken through the release process.  Maybe you're using an old version and it's fixed in mine?  Or maybe you're using a newer one than me.  If you're using a newer version, sometimes bugs sneak in as regressions. In that case, an SPR may be in order.  If you're using an older version and it's been fixed since, I'm terribly sorry but you're probably SOL unless you update. 

"Also upload offending files":

Tell you what, if you'll attach your files to a post here on this thread I and probably others will take a look and see if something screwy happened to your file, document settings, etc.  Maybe we can figure out how to fix it.  Be sure to upload both the drawing file and the referenced part file.

Hope you have a great day!

Paul Risley

Iain:

First of all look below I was able to re-create what you are seeing:

skewed.JPG

Solidworks 2016 SP 4.

As soon as I saw your post I figured I knew what it was ,but I wanted to vet it out first.

The dimension on the right was picked using the points of the end of the centerline, the one on the left was used picking the line element.

Since I can drag the handle on the left all day and not get the result as you see on the right I am going to assume it is your dimension was pulled using the point of a center mark.

Hope that helps you out.