9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 10:59 AM by Matthew Lorono

Add View Scale to View

Todd Bush

How do you apply the view scale to the view? This is not a section or detail view. The 4:1 I put as text for a example

Capture.PNG

• Re: Add View Scale to View
          Peter Brinkhuis

You can do it by hand by adding a note and linking it to a variable by clicking the button encircled in red. You can then select the scale variable.

By the way, do you use scales like 4:1 often? I learned to only use 1, 2, 5, and 10 and I'm wondering what other people use.

drawing_note.jpg

Timothy Taby

I usually use the scale that makes the part best fit on the drawing sheet I am using. With electrically sent drawings you can't always trust what it says the scale is anyways.  Print a B size drawing sheet on to and a size PDF and select the fit to size, what the drawing says is your scale is not what it's going to be if you print it.

Since we send CAD data to most vendors for most parts making the drawing easy to  read and understand is most important.

Todd Bush

It's like this. I've doing this over 25years now..wow. All the drawing I've worked with in the past have Do Not Scale on them. Where I work now doesn't. Showing scale is more just a reference to seeing the difference between view size. But I as a engineer will print on A or B to scale and use it when needed. But I know it's to scale. Venders we don't want them to measure the prints. Place I worked before this did everything in PDF.Once design and detailing done, they were PDF'ed off to the vender. The 4:1 I posted was from a exciting drawing I was redoing. I typ stay in the 1:1, .5:1. don't like odd scales. will use 2:1 and 4:1 once in awhile

John Pesaturo

You can also "right click" the view and select add view label

Peter Brinkhuis

Is it just me or does this only add an empty label?

Matthew Lorono

Peter, the rule in SOLIDWORKS has always been that if the scale of the view is the same as the drawing, the scale is not shown.  However, that shouldn't stop you from creating your label.  You can also add which elements you want to appear from two places.  Locally, you can edit the label (empty or not) by RMB'ing on it and selecting Edit in Window.  Globally, you can edit the contents in Tools>Options...>Document Properties>View and goto the view type.

John Pesaturo

Peter, As Matt mentioned the text doesn't show up depending on what your view comes in at (I'm not sure about the sheet scale correlation but that would make sense [I never knew that one, thx Matt]). Although it does not appear to be there, it should still be present. If you change the scale of said drawing view to something other than the scale it came in at it will populate with the sheet scale annotation if you have selected it to show.