1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 5:34 PM by Keith Frankie

Weldment mesh for drop test

Chase Manny

I am currently attempting to put together a drop test simulation on a part made from thin wall tube weldments. However, when I attempt to create a mesh, solidworks does not create a beam mesh similar to the static analysis and attempts to perform a standard curvature mesh. I have corrected all interference between weldment members, but the majority of the members still fail to mesh (there are about 10 that don't fail to mesh but what specific members succeed seems to vary each mesh). I have found that the finer I make the mesh, the less members tend to fail. I'm attaching the file packaged with the simulation I'm having issues with (drop test 1). Any ideas on how to have the model successfully create a mesh?

• Re: Weldment mesh for drop test
          Keith Frankie

The 'Drop Test' study type doesn't support shell or beam meshes.

Large weldments aren't well suited for a solid mesh.  Theoretically you should be able to create a mesh if you use a small enough element, but the resulting mesh would likely be too large to run any kind of study.

The drop test study type is a simplified / modified version of the nonlinear dynamic study.  Nonlinear dynamic studies can use beam meshes, so you might try this instead.  You'd certainly be jumping into the deep end of simulation, though.