3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 8:11 PM by

project move to different computer/folder

Sutton Mehaffey

Maybe it's in the discussions somewhere, but haven't found it.  Is there a way to easily move a project from one computer/folder to another and use a different folder naming structure?  Someone made a design with a certain folder structure (assemblies in one folder/parts in another/hardware in yet another), and I copied it to my computer, but there are references to the old computer file locations and I can't seem to find an easy way to rebuild.   I understand my computer doesn't know where the files are, so maybe the best answer is that all files go in the same folder/directory.

Sutton

• Re: project move to different computer/folder
          Daen Hendrickson

Pack and Go the top assembly on the original computer and unpack into a single folder on your PC. The Pack and Go will round up all of the various references for you .

Daen

Glenn Schroeder

Sutton Mehaffey wrote:

...so maybe the best answer is that all files go in the same folder/directory.

When SW was first implemented here they were also putting Parts, Assemblies, and Drawings in separate folders.  It didn't take me long to change that practice.  Now all files for each project go together in one folder, with the exception of my library parts, such as nuts, bolts, etc. (and sometimes they get copied in during Pack and Go also).

Thanks for the reply.  I guess that answered my longer term question.  Which is when I have someone design a project on their platform, they might as well put it all in one folder because it will require the Pack and Go feature when copied/moved to another computer or for backup purposes.  I'm not all that familiar with the design of SW, so I didn't know of that issue.  Which makes a little sense as the other computers wouldn't have the same folder structure necessarily.

Sutton