8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 11:21 AM by John Pesaturo

Can I lock or set a sketch to "read only?"

Nathan Rollins

Hi all,

I have a new (replacement) part with 9 snaps that needs to interface with an existing part in the field.  I cannot use in context locations for the snaps, so I have their locations fully dimensioned as points for use in a sketch pattern.  My fear is that they will move (somehow - another user down the road? inadvertent drag? mis-click on an edited dimension...?) For my piece of mind, I would like to at least make it a little more difficult to move these points.

I would love a "right click -> lock" or "read only" or "protect" (like Excel...) - but that does not exist.

But maybe I can use some other feature of Solidworks?

Does anyone have a method for protecting a sketch? Is there something in Blocks, or maybe the Anchor relation...?

Just looking for some ideas.  Thanks!

-Nate

• Re: Can I lock or set a sketch to "read only?"
          BAS De Leeuw

Hello Nathan,

Can't you just save it as another extension so that people can check for example a PDF to see what they need.

Also if you dimension the sketch completly, you need to actually fill in measures to edit the sketch. Look at the color of the lines. Blue means "dragable" and black means "locked"

I hope this helps you !

Nathan Rollins

Thanks  BAS,

But, no - black is not "locked" - black is "fully defined."  And those dimensions can be dragged in the 3D model by the little blue spherical handles. (see the image below) They are also changeable by double clicking the dimension and typing a new number.  I have a few times edited the wrong dimension without realizing it when a sketch is crowded...

John Stoltzfus

For starters - make sure all dimensions are correct, then delete the dimensions and select each vertex and make them Fixed - The other thing I would suggest is take a screen shot (save as a jpeg) of the part with the dimensions and insert the jpeg into the part file - that way you will always know what your original part is supposed to be.  Fixing the points will eliminate accidental drag or deleted dimension etc...

Nathan Rollins

John -

"Fixed" was the relation I was looking for - I have seen the "anchor" icon, but never used it.  I very much like your idea about inserting a JPG into the model - how do you do that? 

What I did instead was "Fix" all the points and then filter selection by dimension, select all and set all the dimensions to "driven."  That way they are still visible for easy cross reference - but that does not preserve the original locations like your JPG idea would.

Thanks a lot!

-Nate

John Stoltzfus

You can take a screen shot and copy into paint and save as a jpeg. Have the part file open and open the folder location where you just saved the picture, click on the picture and just drag it onto the SW screen and release.  You'll need to find it, sometimes they come in real small and just grab the handles and move where you want it.  Is this just a sketch part? or is it modeled, if it's modeled just drop the jpeg on to a face of the part...

Jay Hagan

Nathan,

You can set your dimensions to "Read only" to prevent changes.

Jay

Nathan Rollins

Thanks Jay - nice tip.  But the "read only" seems to not work with Instant3D turned on (which it is by default) -

In a sketch, or in a 3D edit without Instant3D turned on, I get this message:

But, with Instant3D, a click on the feature gives the user the 3D drag handles and SWX ignores the "read only" setting on the dim and allows a drag and dimension change:

-Nate

John Pesaturo

While I'll admit I've always liked the idea with the "Read Only" selection. I can't say I've ever understood it. Sure, it gives you a "Read Only" message when you try to modify it but it can just be turned off. I guess I just always figured there should be a password or something that would allow you to protect the sketch or even the entire model/document.

Edit: Removed Temp/Contractor comments ...