9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 5:43 PM by Paul Salvador

Gaming to modeling computer

Martin Pitts

I built a gaming computer roughly a year and a half ago.  Right now I have a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming ATX Intel Motherboard (full description is:GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard), and currently am using a GTX970 graphics card. It's been a while since I've dealt with add ons to the computer so I'm trying to see if I can add a NVIDIA Quadro K1200 to the motherboard, and then play with the settings to have my games pull from the GTX970 and have SolidWorks pull from from the K1200. Anybody have any experience with this?

• Re: Gaming to modeling computer
          Paul Salvador

(..first, no, I have not loaded both cards and tweaked the system to read one another to run gams/cad.)

..but,... why would you?... I know.. yes, agree,...it sounds fun... and.. I'd want to do also,.. just bcuz.

..seriously tho,.. the GTX970 is better, period.

..the ONLY issues here are the words "certified graphic card and driver".

..a simple tweak of the registry and... it will be fine....  yes, I promise.

(beware, anal engineers and vars with a budget may start swarming the area with concerns and.... new found myths.)   

Martin Pitts

I was just playing with the idea really, I haven't committed to doing it yet. I work in SolidWorks a lot at work, and one of the engineers here mentioned that it might not perform like I expect it to because like you mentioned it is not a "certified graphics card". I guess I should have asked as well if it was completely necessary, and what I would need to change in the bios in order to finagle this into working.

Paul Salvador

Martin... change bios when combining them,.. probably?    it still sounds like a good fun challenge,.. to see if they both could work and from what I've read, they could.. and I bet with some issues?   (kind of want to encourage you so I can find out if it works?) 

(completely necessary).. well, at the utmost anal end.. for verification/validation for the project you are designing... maybe a contract requirement?   (nasa/jpl)?

...and, if the data you're rendering.. that is, the extra cuda cores.. it would be nice to utilize from both!? (if is possible?)

Tweaking the registry is not uncommon... so, I'd test that first and see if it works well and if you can, swap in the quadro and run test on it to compare?

All graphics cards have issues, a good quadro card and valid driver brings in (per the data) a lower errors/issues....

how much?... it depends.. but if you are talking the same system (mobo/cpu/ram) .. it's probably less than 1 percent over a period of 100hrs..  say 99.9% uptime (quadro) compared to 99.5%?

From a accounts or managers point of view.. that can be a easy sell if the quadro card is within budget and the roi is met.  (very typical)

Matt Furches

Paul, can you elaborate on the registry tweak? I was also thinking about running a gtx 1070/1080 card so I could run VR.

Alex Taguchi

To answer your original question, the simple answer is: yes, you can have both a quadro and geforce installed at the same time.

The best setup is to have the Quadro drive one monitor that you will use exclusively for CAD and then have another monitor plugged into the Geforce that will drive your games.

There shouldn't be too much problems with drivers, as you install the Geforce driver and the Quadro driver on the system and the OS will know which driver handles which hardware. Prior to win7, this was not possible, but should work fine on Win7 and newer.