AnsweredAssumed Answered

Transpose circular hole pattern to larger diameter circular face without changing offset?

Question asked by Ed Stroh on Aug 25, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 by Arthur McRae

I have two tubular objects, one with a diameter several times that of the other. I have created a circular hole pattern on the smaller object and want to transpose that same pattern onto the larger one without changing the distance between the holes.

This is kind of a strange design but basically I needed to create a helical pattern of holes in the surface of the smaller tube that would be perfectly mirrored in the surface of the larger tube such that as the smaller tube rolls along the surface of the larger one, the holes align. I created a center line on the axis of the small tube and then drew perpendicular lines coming away from that center line with regular spacing between each. I then added another line on the same horizontal plane of each of those but with 10 degree incremental offsets from one to the next. I then used the hole wizard to align my holes to those points and used the circular pattern tool to wrap that around the entire tube. This worked extremely well. I now need to copy that same pattern with identical distance from hole to hole to the surface of the larger tube but I can't just take the same object and increase the diameter because the positioning of the holes was originally based on degree offset from the center axis rather than distance from hole to hole. What's the smartest way to go about this problem? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!

Outcomes