3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 10:59 AM by Craig Schultz

Can pdm standard be setup to increment revision on checkin similar to the way workgroup PDM behaves

Andrew Hall

We are a very small company(2 solidworks users) starting to use pdm standard, we have both come from a company using workgroup pdm and would like to implement a revision system similar to the way work group works, that is every time we check the file in a revision property is incremented.

It seems the PDM standard version number behaves in a way we could use as the revision, is there a way to show the pdm file version number as a custom property to be put on drawings?

If not, is there a way to set up a circular workflow that automatically changes states and every time a state is changed it increments a revision property?

Is any one else out there transitioning from workgroup to pdm standard experiencing the same issue?

• Re: Can pdm standard be setup to increment revision on checkin similar to the way workgroup PDM behaves
          Steve Ostrovsky

I'm not sure there's a way to do this in an automatic fashion. PDM Standard doesn't have Automatic Transitions between workflow states so you would have to manually Change State a file to get a Revision change to occur.

I'm all of the PDM implementations I've worked on I've never had a user want to change revisions on check in. Revisions are changed during a workflow transition from one state to another. That allows you to check your files in many times a week thus getting them to server and visible for the others in the vault and backed up. When the file gets reviewed and Approved through workflow states then the Revision happens.

If you have a business need for Revisions on check in then certainly look to set this up, but I think you'll need the PDM Professional to accomplish it. I hope someone else has an idea that I'm missing. Best of luck!!

• Re: Can pdm standard be setup to increment revision on checkin similar to the way workgroup PDM behaves
            Keith Vittitoe

Andrew,

Hello.  Steve is correct - the typical approach is to use an automatic transition which are not enabled in PDM Std.  The bottom line - there is not a way to have the rev bump on checkin with PDM Std (even with Pro, you probably wouldn't like the result).

There is an option in both Pro and Std to manually set the revision.  This is enabled via a permission at both the state and folder level and is done while the file is checked in via the Modify pull down menu in the vault view.  Once the "set revision" command is selected, you'll feel right at home - a dialog very similar to the pdmwg checkin window appears where you may select from any of the available revision options in the scheme.

Also, since essentially the company is not using the software to set the revision and the 2 sw designers are deciding when to set the revision, the revision could be set manually on the data card with a pull down menu or even just type it in and not worry about PDM setting it.

Alternatively, there may be a way to adapt to the new database.  Keep in mind that the need for a revision is paper-based thinking, not database thinking.  PDM automatically creates a new version every time a file is checked into the vault.  Blueprint/sepia/etc. all needed a way to document the latest piece of paper.  Needing a revision every time a document is checked in also likely means valuable CAD files don't get checked in every time a change is made, but rather every time a revision bump is needed - meaning valuable intellectual property is scattered about on various machines.  If possible, just use revisions to indicate released. etc. for people outside of your group of 2 and use versions for the daily changes.

Since there is no solution for setting the revision as described, just thought I'd throw out the version vs. revision idea.

Keith

Craig Schultz

It seems the PDM standard version number behaves in a way we could use as the revision, is there a way to show the pdm file version number as a custom property to be put on drawings?  Yes, but I can't think of a way to do it automatically.  It would have to be through a transition like Steve said.

If not, is there a way to set up a circular workflow that automatically changes states and every time a state is changed it increments a revision property?  The problem would be the auto transition which would be an infinite loop.....

Instead of the workgroup mentality, you'll have to wrap your head around this comparison:

WPDM:  You save it out locally to your HD to work on.

ePDM:  You check it out, which puts it into your local cache/HD so no one can work on it.

WPDM: You check it in, which in turn changes the revision or + revision.

ePDM: You check it in, which allows you check it out again/keep checked out.  But this also allows anyone else who needs to see the file, see that the file has changed and they can update their assemblies if they want. (Get latest into their cache)

ePDM:  You can then check it in and transition it to the next rev when you want.  There are far fewer "oh crap" moments of bumping the rev when you check it in.

Basically you can get away with a 2 state system from what it sounds like.  It'll be a new system, but you'll have a ton more control than wpdm.