8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 10:01 AM by Kevin Andrews

Dumb question about titleblock data...

Kevin Andrews

I have a drawing created and I am ready to fill in all my titleblock data....however, i can't find where to do that.

In my defense, I haven't used SW in a year or so and i am now on SW2016...I used to right-click somewhere in the tree and had to scroll through the options to find the command for filling in the data.

I feel like such a newb asking this question.....

• Re: Dumb question about titleblock data...
          Tony Cantrell

You can edit the sheet format and create links to custom properties or edit directly.

Kevin Andrews

So, there is no way to just enter the information without having to edit the sheet format?

I just want it to populate the fields that are already in the format...

Tony Cantrell

You have to have the links in your templates and fill in the properties in your part/assy.

Kevin Andrews

Please, I apologize if I am sounding like an a-hole here...but I have to have all of that information in the part/assy properties...

I am using modified titleblock supplied by SW..and I want to populate the: drawn by, date drawn date, title, etc....

titleblock.PNG

As mentioned, I used to be able to right-click in the tree and click on a command that would allow me to populate this info without having to do anything with the sheet format. I think the command was "Enter Titleblock Data" or something similar to that

Eric Blankinship

Kevin,

You don't need all that information in the part/assembly but you can if you want.  If you look at the picture linked by Glenn, in the column Value text expression you can either fill those in manually in the drawing or to have linked to part/assembly you could have the following command $PRPSHEET:"DrawnBy"  the part that is "DrawnBy"  could be whatever but would need to match the property name in your part/assembly template.  In the part/assembly template then you'd just fill in the value text expression column.

~Eric

Eric Blankinship

Kevin,

It depends on your drawing template file(s) that you are using.  The one I am using does what Tony is suggesting as it links all the blocks in the title block to the custom properties.  So all the information is just inserted into the custom properties and it auto-populates the correct fields.  The advantage of doing it this way over manual input is for if you have multiple drawing size templates.  Insert the information once and it will be where you want regardless of changing sheet size for the drawing.  If you go a step further you can even setup custom properties in your part models that directly link to the properties in the drawing.  Then when you add the view of the part in the drawing all the information will be automatically imported from the model properties to the drawing title block.

But this is just my method I use for filling in title blocks.  I know other people have created macros for auto-data insertion or other such methods.  Of course you can always do things the manual way by going in and manually inserting the data in the right spot every time.

~Eric

Glenn Schroeder

Assuming the title block notes are linked to drawing properties, then go to File > Properties...,

...which will bring up the box shown below.  Enter the desired information in the Value / Text Expression column for each property.  That will send the information to the title block for each sheet.

Kevin Andrews

OK...I have it figured out......

Right click on the sheet and choose sheet format. Then click on "Title Block Data"....this will give you the option to set which title block entries are able to be edited.

Save this as the drawing format...

Now, when you create a drawing you will now have "Title Block Table" in your data tree..right click and choose "Enter Title Block Data"...

Thank you for all the input