2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 6:50 PM by Brian Hillner

How do I reduce tessellation size

Matt Hendey

How do I reduce tessellation size?

Matt

• Re: How do I reduce tessellation size
          Matt Hendey

Ok I got it. You have to change the Image Quality settings in Solidworks first then re-import the models.

• Re: How do I reduce tessellation size
              Brian Hillner

Hi Matt, yes you have correctly answered yourself

You can have different Image Quality setting in SOLIDWORKS for particular features. For example, if I'm designing a watch in SW CAD, and know I want to do a super close-up of the watch face, I'm going to crank up the tessellation of the watch face, hands, ticks and numbers so they result in tighter mesh and cannot see any bad tessellation on the close-up shots. I would probably keep the watch bands at the default image quality setting, since I'm not going to need to create a close-up of the band itself. This way I can be the most efficient with my tessellation setting, since the higher the Image Quality, the tighter the resulting mesh/tessellation, th emore polygons I'll have in my scene...the more impact I have on my performance and hardware memory.

A good rule of thumb for Visualize is, you can import up to 5 million polygons per 1GB of VRAM on your GPU. So if you have an NVIDIA M4000, you have 8GB of memory on that GPU, which results in up to 40 million polygons in Visualize. That's actually a huge model!