3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 2:44 PM by Keith Rice

Change custom property on referenced drawings

Luke Frost

Good Afternoon All,

Being a complete API novice I have been looking for a macro that will go through an assembly and change specific custom properties for the sub assemblies and haven't managed to find anything at all that is related.  I have however managed to put something together based on several different things that i have found which isn't completely air tight however it seems to run ok even if some times it does delete the variables ad not create them if the instances are met initially.  Haven't been able to figure out how to achieve this.

The thing however that i am struggling with it is to change custom properties on referenced drawings that are for either the top level assembly or any of the drawings for the parts that are in the assembly.

The current code is as follows:

Option Explicit

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Sub main()

Dim swModel As ModelDoc2

Dim vComps As Variant

Dim swComp As SldWorks.Component2

Dim swAssy As SldWorks.AssemblyDoc

Dim i As Integer

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Dim strDesToReplace As String

Dim strDesReplacing As String

Dim strNoToReplace As String

Dim strNoReplacing As String

strDesToReplace = InputBox("Please enter the text that you wish to find within the Description Custom Property", "Enter Search String")

strDesReplacing = InputBox("Please enter the text that you wish to replace the previously entered string in the Description Custom Property", "Enter Replacing String")

strNoToReplace = InputBox("Please enter the text that you wish to find within the Part Number Custom Property", "Enter Search String")

strNoReplacing = InputBox("Please enter the text that you wish to replace the previously entered string in the Part Number Custom Property", "Enter Replacing String")

If strDesToReplace = "" Or strDesReplacing = "" Or strNoToReplace = "" Or strNoReplacing = "" Then

Exit Sub

Else

ChangeValues swModel, strDesToReplace, strDesReplacing, strNoToReplace, strNoReplacing

If swModel.GetType = swDocASSEMBLY Then

Set swAssy = swModel

vComps = swAssy.GetComponents(False)

For i = 0 To UBound(vComps)

Set swComp = vComps(i)

Set swModel = swComp.GetModelDoc2

'updateProperty swModel

ChangeValues swModel, strDesToReplace, strDesReplacing, strNoToReplace, strNoReplacing

Next i

End If

MsgBox "All Custom Properties have been successfully changed", vbInformation + vbOK, "Find & Replace Complete"

End If

End Sub

Function ChangeValues(swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2, strDesToReplace As String, strDesReplaceWith As String, strNoToReplace As String, strNoReplaceWith As String) As Boolean

Dim cpm As CustomPropertyManager

Dim names As Variant

Dim name As Variant

Dim textexp As String

Dim evalval As String

Dim strNumber As String

Dim strDescription As String

Dim strdrw_no As String

Set cpm = swModel.Extension.CustomPropertyManager("")

names = cpm.GetNames

For Each name In names

cpm.Get2 name, textexp, evalval

Debug.Print name & " = " & evalval

If name = "Description" Then

If evalval <> "" Then

strDescription = Replace(evalval, strDesToReplace, strDesReplaceWith)

cpm.Delete "Description"

cpm.Add2 "Description", swCustomInfoText, strDescription

End If

End If

Next name

For Each name In names

If name = "Number" Then

If evalval <> "" Then

strNumber = Replace(evalval, strNoToReplace, strNoReplaceWith)

cpm.Delete "Number"

cpm.Add2 "Number", swCustomInfoText, strNumber

End If

End If

Next name

For Each name In names

If name = "drw_no" Then

If evalval <> "" Then

strdrw_no = Replace(evalval, strNoToReplace, strNoReplaceWith)

cpm.Delete "drw_no"

cpm.Add2 "drw_no", swCustomInfoText, strdrw_no

End If

End If

Next name

End Function

Can anyone please assist me with this.

Thanks in advanced

Frosty

• Re: Change custom property on referenced drawings
          John Stoltzfus

Should be much easier to use Task Scheduler if your just replacing or changing Custom Properties

Luke Frost

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply however unfortunately i am unable to use Task Scheduler due to the fact that i need to use a find and replace type operation to replace a small part of a variable that changes with every part. I did initially try going down this route however it doesn't allow you to do a find and replace operation just a static string.

Frosty

Keith Rice

In our Macro Library we have a macro called "Run code on every part in assembly" that contains sample code on how to modify the custom properties of every part in an assembly. You can modify it to work on all sub-assemblies as well by just removing the conditional statement that tests if the component is a part.

The thing however that i am struggling with it is to change custom properties on referenced drawings that are for either the top level assembly or any of the drawings for the parts that are in the assembly.

Unless you know exactly what the names or locations of these drawings are, you would have to used the Document Manager API to get the "Where Used" paths for the models used to create drawings. See ISwDMDocument::WhereUsed in particular.

As an example of the first case, if you know that there will always be a drawing with the same name as the assembly in the same folder as that assembly, then you should be able to just get the path of the assembly, replace the last six characters with SLDDRW, and then open the document at that path and do what you need to do.

Keith

SolidWorks API Developer