16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 8:31 AM by John Stoltzfus

Made 2nd Page Template different in DRWDOT file

Eric Blankinship

Hello,

My company currently has our drawing templates setup so that all the title block and revision block information is added into the drawings via custom properties & also importing custom properties from the part models.

The issue I am having is when engineers need to make a 2nd page for their drawings we don't want to duplicate the revision block info.  We simply want to have it setup so the first page contains the revision information while the 2nd just tells to go back to the first page so as to save space on the drawings.

I know I could create either a DRTDOT file that by default has multiple pages so that the 2nd page doesn't have the text boxes linking to the custom properties or I could make a custom .slddrt format to have applied to any subsequent pages after the first but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Basically I'm wanting to know if there is a way kinda like in microsoft office applications to "make first page different"  so that the document will have one page by default but if you add a page it will have the different formating?

~Eric

• Re: Made 2nd Page Template different in DRWDOT file
          Glenn Schroeder

I did a little research, and found something that I think will work for you.  Open a new drawing and set the first sheet to the sheet format you want (with the revision block).  Go to File > Options > Document Properties > Drawing Sheets.  Browse and select the sheet format you want for your subsequent sheets and make sure you check the box for "Use different sheet format".  Click Okay to close out the dialog box.  Save your drawing template.  Now when new sheets are added to drawings using this drawing template they will be the desired sheet format.

Daen Hendrickson

Erik,

Prior to SW adding the option Glenn points out, this was covered here:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/223750#comment-223750

One artifact I notice with the method Glenn points out:

We have an alternate second page template (used for laser/waterjet dxf export). Using the old fashioned method (the link above) pops open the sheet properties dialog with the second page pre-selected. From there I can either just hit enter, edit the name and/or scale and hit enter, OR select the alternate second page template and hit enter.

Using the built in SW check box the normal second page template is automatically loaded. If I had intended to use our alternate, I must re-open the Sheet Properties dialog and change my selection - and extra step.

If you don't have the need for the alternate this is a non-issue. Perhaps this has been addressed in later released than my SW2014-SP5.

Hope this helps,

Daen

John Stoltzfus

I have a Main Drawing Template setup with all the different Drawing Formats which includes 20 tabs and in some cases they don't all apply - The first 6 are my cover sheets and I would only delete and not add any of them - The next 4 sheets I have one for like a page of a front cover assembly and an exploded assembly with BOM then the rest are just part drawings, if I need more of the same format I just right click the page and ctrl C and then hit ctrl V till I have enough for the project.  It's quicker to copy paste and delete views then add, right click, properties and select from the list.......

Bottom line... copy paste to add new, but only copy the drawing format you want to use, if you have multiple formats...

Glenn Schroeder

John Stoltzfus wrote:

I have a Main Drawing Template setup with all the different Drawing Formats which includes 20 tabs and in some cases they don't all apply - The first 6 are my cover sheets and I would only delete and not add any of them - The next 4 sheets I have one for like a page of a front cover assembly and an exploded assembly with BOM then the rest are just part drawings, if I need more of the same format I just right click the page and ctrl C and then hit ctrl V till I have enough for the project. It's quicker to copy paste and delete views then add, right click, properties and select from the list.......

Bottom line... copy paste to add new, but only copy the drawing format you want to use, if you have multiple formats...

John,

I can make it still quicker for you.  If the option indicated below is not selected (like mine isn't), then when you click on the tab to add a new sheet the new sheet will use the same sheet format as the active sheet.  No need to copy, paste, and delete views.

John Stoltzfus

You never seen my draw speed   -  Left Hand - It's one ctrl C then one finger on the ctrl button & the V button - Right hand enter button, I can add 10 drawings in a few seconds

Glenn Schroeder

John Stoltzfus wrote:

You never seen my draw speed - Left Hand - It's one ctrl C then one finger on the ctrl button & the V button - Right hand enter button, I can add 10 drawings in a few seconds

One click on the new sheet tab is still faster. 

Eric Blankinship

Maybe his left hand moves at a far faster speed than his right hand

John Stoltzfus

That is if you can see the tab - if you have enough of tabs you constantly have to move the tab arrow till you see the "Add Sheet Tab"

Here I'm showing to add a sheet now you would have to do two clicks - (In the same time I would have loaded 5 sheets lolol

Below you can do the single click but would only be able to add two tabs and then do the above

By that time I would have loaded 10 sheets -

I know exactly what you mean and I have the same setting, but with 10 or more drawing formats in a drawing, I find that copy & paste is a lot less clicks....

The same holds true for everything else we do - we all have our system and comfort level, and like the Dove commercial - I'm happy with my skin, lol

Glenn Schroeder

If that works for you, by all means go for it.  But do you really have 10 different sheet formats in a single drawing?

John Stoltzfus

Man your up early - just pickin on ya on speed ~~

My list of different sheet formats -  ECR cover, ECN cover, Project Assembly BOM (I use this to save out excel files), Project Parts BOM (All the parts in the project, indented, also used for excel), Project Program List BOM, Project Notes 1 through 30, Project Notes 31 -60, Assembly, Assembly BOM, Parts and if I need to use additional sheet/s for a part I have a secondary one that I can also insert that's a little different. That's a total of 11 different ones that I have in my Main Template when I start a new project.  There are a few that don't apply to every project, so I just delete them... 

love that everything for that pc/project is in one place, one file, all the project information is in the Cover sheets, All the Assemblies and Part Files have their own custom properties, (142 available properties),  and individual revisions.  If you have a small product line, no big deal, but here we literally have thousands of components, hundreds of style/size combinations, so the search and find is seconds... 

Over the years I've done one off sheets, but I would start a temper tantrum if I had to go back to that....

Chris Saller

We have a second sheet only for large formats, in our case size D.

There is no need for mulit-sheets on smaller dwgs. If you need more room, larger sheet.

Make the second sheet the same as the first sheet, minus the rev block and most of the title block info.