George Reilly

Virtual PDMW Server and SAN

Discussion created by George Reilly on Sep 23, 2008
Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 by Sean Collins
Success! PDMWorks Workgroup installed on a Virtual Server AND Vault out on a SAN Server!!!

Yes it can be done. After much trial and error I have figured it out. Each case may be different but I will describe what I did.

1. Install PDMWorks Workgroup on the Virtual Server (virtualserver) and let the Vault location be the default C:\PDM-Vault.

2. Check to see that the Service "Started" with Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services. If it is "started" goto step 3.

3. Verify the installation was succesful. Use PDMWorks Workgroup VaultAdmin and login as username=pdmwadmin, password=pdmwadmin and Vault computer=virtualserver. From either the virtualserver or a client. If it starts up go to step 4.

4. Logout of the VaultAdmin and from the virtualserver "Stop" the service".

5. COPY the newly created C:\PDM-Vault and all of its subfolders to the designated location on the SAN server.

6. Use REGEDIT and modify the rootPath location in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Solidworks 2008\PDMWorks Workgroup Server to be the location on the SAN server. MUST BE UNC format (ie. \\sanserver\PDM-Vault).

7. Edit the properties of the Service, Log On tab, Log on as "This account" and enter a username and password of a administrative user to the sanserver domain preferably one with a password that never expires (ie. username=domain\sanserveradmin, password=neverexpires.

8. "Start" the service up again.

This scenario may not be exactly what is needed to get your VIRTUAL + SAN up and running but it worked for me.

One of the things that was the most frustrating was when logging in you must put in the Vault computer name so I kept putting the name of the server that has the actual vault on it. This is wrong. Use the name of the server that has the PDMWorks "Service" installed and running and let the Registry pointer (rootPath) direct the software to the server with the vault.

Good Luck...

~George

Outcomes