9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 2:29 PM by Timothy Taby

Non-Matching Internal ID

Doug Schaefer

I'm working with an assy created by someone else.  When I open it, I get an error message "Referenced document has a non-matching internal ID".  I understand the problem, generally, however there are several issues withy the error:

1. The full path to the file that it found is truncated (see highlighted section of the image below) so I can't tell where the file it's finding is located, making verification that it's the right one difficult.
      2. There is a lot of text to read, but the message auto-dismisses in 10 seconds.  Not enough time to try to determine what the file is, where it came from (See above) and what my options are.
      3. There is no indication as to what the default action will be when the dialog goes away.

Capture.JPG

My questions:

1. How can see the entire path?
      2. Can I disable the auto-dismiss on messages?
      3. What happens if I make no choice and the message is auto-dismissed?
        • Re: Non-Matching Internal ID
          Ryan Milotte

If you dismiss the errors, and load the assembly, the disassociated parts will show suppressed. You can then unsurpress, and it will as to browser for the file, this will take you to the folder it though it was in, at that point you can redirect it to where the part really is.

Anna Wood

File > Find References after opening the assembly.  Be sure not to save anything after you check where the file is located, so you can fix anything you need to fix.

John Stoltzfus

That message means the original file was moved and is no longer at the original location.  I would browse for the file and find it, the path information is there, but the part no longer in that folder or has been re-named.   I would cringe seeing that error box come up.. There could be additional information from the missing part that is tied to another component somewhere..  As for the error message check here..

Steve Calvert

I believe that it means you have a file with the same name but the Internal ID is different.  This happens a lot outside of PDM.

1. How can see the entire path?

After the assembly loads, do a File > Find References

1. Can I disable the auto-dismiss on messages?

Yes, John has shown the Option for that.

1. What happens if I make no choice and the message is auto-dismissed?

The "let me browse..." will be selected.

Steve C

Roland Schwarz

File --> Find references will give you a complete list of files and directories which can also be exported.

Also look at the file in SW Explorer and you can see the last-saved references.

Timothy Taby

I thought the "non-matching internal ID" was when a part has a newer (or older) version then that that what was saved originally with the assembly. This can happen if someone opens the part and makes changes then re-saves the part without ever opening the assembly.  The assembly wants the old revision, but only the newer version is there.  Generally this error is not really that worrisome.

You get "unable to locate ........." if it's moved or can't find the file.

Steve Calvert

So, Timothy, I see this when designer A has a screw called scr1 and designer B has a scr2.  Designer A says, "hey, I already have that screw - you need to rename it to scr2"  OR someone takes out a part number, ABC123 and uses it and then someone else decides to make a new version of it but downloads a totally different solid and renames it back to ABC123.  The names are the same but the underlying solid geometry is now different.

Steve C

Timothy Taby

Yes, both of those examples will cause the "non-matching internal ID" error to pop up.  Anytime the ID of the part don't match that of the assembly had when it was saved.

I have had it happen before when a part was corrupted and I pulled a backup file from the server to replace it.  Open the assembly and you get the error.  This error don't usually bother me to much as I generally know why it's popping up, the unable to locate one is worse since that usually means someone moved the file or deleted it.