I have a list of questions to help us move forward with the SP4 upgrade to Solidworks.
Because of the numerous issues we had with SP3 and past updates I’m wanting to build a brand new server and have a new Stage and Prod server based around it.
- Build two brand new servers: 1 App server and 1 SQL Server.
- Possibly build a SQL Cluster if it is supported.
- Install Solidworks 2016 SP4 as a full install.
- Import the files and database from production (currently SP3) into this new server.
- Follow up to make sure that I’m not missing any custom changes our VAR required us to do to fix some of the problems.
- Added that step because some of the issues that we came across were not fixed by Solidworks.
- Run through all of our testing (very thorough testing).
- Copy any newly changed data from production to this server once testing is complete (both files and database)
- I’ll need to know what steps would be the most efficient so that I don’t have to copy the entire database and all files again (if that is possible).
- Clone the server and use the clone as our new test\QA server.
- Change the name of the clone.
- Create a NEW test vault.
- Restore the production database to the new TEST vault.
- Delete the production information from the registry, software, and hard drive (only thing left should be the TEST vault)
- Make any necessary changes to registry and\or database as well as license manager to be used as our test system
- Install SP4 on all of the client machines
- Point all of the new applications to the new server name (production, not the clone). In this case it will be a CNAME to make things much easier in the future.
- Can I have a SP4 install ready to go and then import the database and files from an SP3 version or do I have to start with SP3, import, and then upgrade afterwards?
- If putting SP3 database and files on an SP4 software install doesn’t work, why doesn’t it work; what breaks?
- What is the latest version of SQL Server that I can get for the current version of Solidworks?
- Does the latest version support SQL Clustering?
- I’m wanting to separate the application server from the SQL server. Is there much of a benefit to doing that?
- Finding the full Solidworks SP4 install software (vs just the upgrade download) on Solidworks’ site is not an easy task.
- Can you get me a link so that I can download the FULL install package and not just the upgrade package?
- Will that include the latest supported MS SQL software or will that need to be a separate download?
- What is the latest Windows OS that is supported by Solidworks?
- What kind of problems will I run into if I clone a server and change the name of the server?