2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 5:28 PM by Arie Van Gelderen

How to avoid entering all mandatory fields into data card twice (@ and configuration specific)

Jonathan Gourlie

I have a folder that is going to have about half of the part files in it with multiple configurations and the other half without.  I have a couple fields in my data card that are both mandatory and unique (part number and description).  In most of my data cards I just have the fields update all configurations, but obviously in this folder I can't.  Is there any way around having to enter all the data twice for all the single-configuration files?

Thanks,

• Re: How to avoid entering all mandatory fields into data card twice (@ and configuration specific)
          Steve Ostrovsky

You could create a new data card and save it into that folder where configurations are being used. On this data card, you would need to create new variables that aren't mandatory. I'm not sure there are any ways around this. When you don't have 'Updates all configurations' checked and the field is Mandatory (I'm assuming you've set this at the Variable level) then it has to have a value when you go to save the card info.

The drawback to using a unique card and unique variables is your searching is now affected since you have all new variables that need to be included in searches.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

• Re: How to avoid entering all mandatory fields into data card twice (@ and configuration specific)
            Arie Van Gelderen

Hi Jonathan,

We don't use mandatory datacard fields at all because they cause all kinds of problems. Besides the issues that you mentioned, it is also not possible to enable the mandatory flag to an existing variable if files are already in the vault with empty values.

Fortunately, there are other ways to make a field 'mandatory':

1. Set the minimum and/or maximum text length for datacard fields

2. Use Dispatch to check variable values during check in or state change. This way you can easily skip the @-config.

3. Use workflow conditions to block transitions if variable values don't meet conditions

Hope this helps,

Arie