6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 9:02 AM by Chris Petersen

mesh won't display

Chris Petersen

Has anyone run into this issue?

Yesterday, I imported a stl mesh using the add-in scan to 3D. I lined the mesh in the orientation that I wanted and started to build geometry around it.

Today, I started Solidworks and loaded the add-in. I then loaded the part file and the mesh does not display. It is in the tree but when I click the mesh with the right mouse button, it does not have any options to turn it on. I need it to finish up the geometry that I didn't get done yesterday.

Solidworks 2016 SP3. Windows 10.

Thanks

Chris

• Re: mesh won't display
          Danny Bradford

Here are a couple of guesses and how to test:

RAM is full and cannot load: Try opening the mesh and cutting it in half and saving as a new name. Then replace the complete mesh in the assembly with the half a mesh part. If it works then you need to work with half at a time to allow your RAM to function.

Solidworks Settings not set up properly: Check your Tools Options under performance and Assemblies. Try turning off all the settings that load geometry lightweight and open the assembly completely from the beginning.

Again just a few thoughts. Hope this helps!!

Chris Petersen

Hi Danny.

I am not even close to using up the ram on this box. The mesh is a very small part. It is only 48 meg. Also, this is not an assembly. I have a single part file with the mesh loaded at the beginning. It worked fine all day yesterday but today when I started the machine, the part is grayed out in the tree. I can't unhide it or reload it. I also checked and I don't have the assemblies load up lightweight.

I honestly think that Solidworks has a way to monitor my blood pressure through my mouse and if they think it's getting low, they throw me a curve ball like this to get it back up there.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Chris Petersen

I just upgraded to SP4 and that didn't help either.

Paul Salvador

Chris,.. I do NOT have scanto3d but.. I have seen this viewing scanto3d..  unfortunately I do not have much to offer except a link which might help,.. and a couple of suggestions,.. roll-up to the mesh... do a ctrl-q... and save.. reopen (what happens?).. of it's still misshing... try to save out the mesh and reimport?

ScanTo3D Imported Mesh Disappears! HELP!

Chris Petersen

Thanks Paul.

I think that I am probably in the same situation as Daniel in that forum. He said if he saved the file without the mesh active, then he was never able to reload the mesh. I saved it this morning with it grayed out. I tried all of the suggestions but nothing worked.

Chris

Chris Petersen

Update on the missing mesh data. After giving my head a break this weekend, I went back in this morning and was going to re-open the mesh file to start copying my data into a new part. I noticed this morning that there is some options right in front of my face that allows you to load the mesh as a new part or to import into the current part. I imported the mesh file into my part and started to realign the mesh with my current geometry. I then saved the mesh back out as a scan to 3d stl file. When I re-imported the reoriented mesh back into part file, it lined up perfect. If the mesh gets lost now, I can just re-import mesh back in the orientation.

It's kind of counter intuitive. You need to open the file as if you are starting a new part. Then click the options button and select the radio button for importing into the current opened part.

I hope this helps someone else that runs into this.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Chris