32 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 12:07 AM by Rohit Rajan

Updating from 2012 to 2016...any tips or concerns?

Derek Parks

We finally got IT approval to upgrade our Solidworks and as you can see from the title it's been a long time coming. Is there anything I should watch out for during this process. My VAR is going to be walking us through it early September but I wanted to have all my bases covered. We are currently using PDM for our file management system. It is my understanding this will only be supported for a couple more years but that project will have to wait for now.  The plan is to stick with it for now through this update. One of my biggest concerns is the toolbox. We currently have partial integration of our toolbox but I am thinking it would be better to go full integration during this update....thoughts,benefits,drawbacks? We have several custom parts along with configurations we have added to the standard Toolbox which would need to come over to the updated version. Non of the custom parts are revision controlled so this will not be an issue. I just wanted to get basic advice since this will be a big update from the version we currently use. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Derek