9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 1:28 PM by Gerald Watts

hole array in cylinder

Gerald Watts
      I need to make 2 rows of 25 square-ish air holes around both ends of a motor shell, a cylindrical wall. I've tried to apply hints from this forum but not very happy with my results. (Thanks Anna and Charles!)

I've been trying to understand 3D sketch but every time I try to make a point on the cylinder surface it actually apears along the centerline in another plane. This seems to imply that I would need 25 new plains to draw the holes. Is there a way to use the array feature to acomplish this or to make the holes?

An easier way might be to sketch it as a flat sheet metal part and bend it 360 degrees but how do I calculate matching length and diameter?

Thank you,
      Jerry Watts
        • hole array in cylinder
          Tom Nicholson
          have you tried just making a single cut extrude of your hole, then using a circular pattern and pattern the cut around?

if you attach a file, or a picture of what your trying to accomplish, it might make it easier to get the answer you want..

also, if you want to put in your signature what version of software you have, it would help too, I was going to create you something but not sure if your using 2009 or not.
          • hole array in cylinder
            Gerald Watts
            Thanks Tom:
            I attached a picture of the motor I'm trying to model, 0064, and another example. The holes are arrayed near all the way around the curved gray side.

Thank you,
            Jerry Watts,
            Using SW'07 SP2
            • hole array in cylinder
              Tom Nicholson
              ok, well I don't have 2007 installed, so I cant make you a model.

but if you create your cylinder, do an extrude cut of one of the holes that you want, then do a circular pattern choosing the cut extrude as what you want to pattern, and the cylinder as your driving element, you should be able to get the holes you want..
                • hole array in cylinder
                  Gerald Watts
                  Tom:
                  I have the cylinder extruded from a sketch on the right plane.

In front view, with 3D sketch, I select the outside of the cylinder draw a circle which apears on the front plane at the geometric center of the cylinder and extrude cut from sketch plane through all but all I get is either, "unable to perform cut due to gemetric restriction" ...or it wants to cut through the right plane, which is totaly weird and I haven't figured out what causes the difference. So maybe 3D is not the way to do it.

On the other hand if I select the front plane and open a sketch in 2D then I can extrude the cut through the cylinder. Doing it this way I would have to create 25 planes at varying angles 0- aprox.345.

I have no idea how one would use the circular array to project holes through 25 different planes. Please explain in a bit greater detail?

Thank you,
                  Jerry Watts.
                • hole array in cylinder
                  Charles Culp
                  Gerald,

To answer your specific question, click on both the point and the face where you want the hole. You can then apply the "On surface" constraint to constrain the point to the surface/face.

Tom's idea of a circular feature pattern sounds like a more straight forward method as a whole. Also, after seeing that photo, you definitely need to check out the sheet metal tools!
                    • hole array in cylinder
                      Gerald Watts
                      Thanks Charles: Sheet metal gets me closer... I think.

I attempted to use the sheet metal tool both to flatten the cylinder and to roll a flat sheet, neither worked, I obviously don't know how.

I followed the sheet metal dirctions to make a cylinder starting with an open contour and extruding with base flange. Then I flattened it, extrud cut some square holes through it and unflattened it. The holes dissapeared. Any other ideas?

...and now I have a slot that needs to be welded. I see instructions for welding parts in an assembly, how do I do it to a single part?

Thank you,
                      Jerry Watts
                        • hole array in cylinder
                          Andy Gordon
                          Hey Gerald, Once you have the extruded cut with the 2d sketch finished, go to view and turn on temporary Axis. Then go to insert pattern, Choose Circular pattern use the Axis of the Cylinder as your axis and your extruded cut as the feature to pattern. Should get you where your going. you have options for number of patterns and angle.

Take Care!