10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2018 8:25 AM by Dan Pihlaja

Link part units (specifically mass) to drawing

Dave Gage

Ok,  the reason for this post is I just made a simple mistake, and it kinda made my company look stupid.

I'm in the thermoforming business, so we measure our products in grams, and our tools in kg.  I make many more tool components than products, so my drawing templates are set up for [Weight: $PRPSHEET:"Weight"kg], with "Weight" -> "SW-Mass@@part.sldprt".  I manually changed the "kg" to "g" in the drawing, as I often do, but I later changed the sheet size, forgetting that I would have to reset the weight units again.  Our official drawing now says that our small plastic product weighs over 100kg...

Is there a way to link the units as well, such that the set up would read something like  [Weight: $PRPSHEET:"Weight" $PRPSHEET:"WeightUnits"], with "WeightUnits" -> "SW-Mass-Units@@part.sldprt"?

I've been searching the internet, but I can't seem to find an answer.  So, I've been playing with the annotations (SW-Mass-Units, SW-Unit-Mass, etc...) to see if one works, but the results have been fruitless.

It seems like such a simple thing, linking the parts' units to the drawing, but I cannot figure it out...

• Re: Link part units (specifically mass) to drawing
          John Stoltzfus

Do you use Custom Property Tab Builder?  I don't know of any link to the units, but could you have your property note linked to a custom property in Tab Builder and have a seperate Tab Builder file one for tools and the other for plastics etc..  And the note in the drawing could be

$PRPSHEET:"Weight"-g and the other one  $PRPSHEET:"Weight"-kg 

Dave Gage

That's what I've already decided on doing.  I've created a drop down selection for custom property "WeightUnit" to be kg or g.  Then I changed the template drawings to write [Weight: $PRPSHEET:"Weight"$PRPSHEET:"WeightUnits"].  But I still have to select the correct unit.

It's not the end of the world, but I find it frustrating that SW knows which units I'm using, yet I cannot link to them.  For example, if you do the mass evaluation, it will tell you all of the correct units.

John Stoltzfus

As you well know - you're bound to pick the wrong one someday, agreed with you, it's right there when you do the evaluation.......

Dan Pihlaja

That and, if you change your units to pounds at the part level, then, on the drawing, the number for weight will suddenly change the pounds....no matter what the units are specified as at the drawing level....

You could set your part to grams....link the weight to your drawing, and put a little "g" next to your weight.  It will read "100 g" on your drawing.   Then go back to the part and change the units at the part level to pounds and all of a sudden, your drawing will now read "0.22 g"  because the "g" is just a note.  Which is completely inaccurate. 

Bjorn Hulman

This is definitely a shortcoming of SW, and a total pain in the rear! In my last job we had this issue and they wanted to keep templates to a minimum, so I put a radio for units in the custom properties at drawing level.

I'd created a macro that would update the rev table etc depending on data entered at part/assem level (CPT with dropdowns for max consistency where possible). I added the function of changing the part units to match the drawing units, if they had changed, when the macro was run.

Dan Pihlaja

Bump on this thread.

I too have searched high and low.

It seems silly that swapping out units at the part level will modify my print, since the part didn't get modified at all.

Has this seriously NOT affected anyone else?

SPR# 284180.

It is listed as critical, yet I have seen this as an issue for a LONG time.  SPR's are now being listed in the 900000 range......

My VAR is calling Solidworks to see if/when this issue might be looked at.

Dan Pihlaja

I would also like to point out 1 thing:

When you search for 284180 in the knowledge base, it comes up with these 2 SPR's:

and

SPR 400129 claims that it is a duplicate of SPR 284180.  This is NOT true, (which I just told them in the comments section for that SPR.

In SPR 284180, the requester wants the ability to link the part weight units to the drawing reported weight.  In this scenario, the units for the displayed weight in the drawing is still controlled by the part.  While it is definitely a better scenario than not having it.....the problem with this scenario is that if you change the weight units at the part level, the drawing will still change, even though nothing actually changed with regards to the part (fit, form, function, color, anything!)  Which will drive an update to the drawing.  Which some companies will require a new version in the PDM system and others might require a new revision.

In SPR 400129, the requester wants the ability to report the weight of the part, using the units from the drawing document.  This would mean that, no matter what the units are set to at the part level, the drawing will not update.   This is the ideal situation.

I am going to get in touch with my VAR to have Solidworks re-open SPR 400129 because they are NOT duplicate!  Not by any stretch of the imagination!

Ian McLean

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

When you search for 284180 in the knowledge base, it comes up with these 2 SPR's:

and

SPR 400129 claims that it is a duplicate of SPR 284180. This is NOT true, (which I just told them in the comments section for that SPR.

In SPR 284180, the requester wants the ability to link the part weight units to the drawing reported weight. In this scenario, the units for the displayed weight in the drawing is still controlled by the part. While it is definitely a better scenario than not having it.....the problem with this scenario is that if you change the weight units at the part level, the drawing will still change, even though nothing actually changed with regards to the part (fit, form, function, color, anything!) Which will drive an update to the drawing. Which some companies will require a new version in the PDM system and others might require a new revision.

In SPR 400129, the requester wants the ability to report the weight of the part, using the units from the drawing document. This would mean that, no matter what the units are set to at the part level, the drawing will not update. This is the ideal situation.

I am going to get in touch with my VAR to have Solidworks re-open SPR 400129 because they are NOT duplicate! Not by any stretch of the imagination!

This has long been a problem for us, I never thought about the option of the drawing having units, but I think you are right, SPR 400129 would be a nice option, but at the same time, it would be nice to have a unit property from part, for example for BOMs created in assemblies.

Dan Pihlaja

Ian McLean wrote:

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

and

SPR 400129 claims that it is a duplicate of SPR 284180. This is NOT true, (which I just told them in the comments section for that SPR.

In SPR 284180, the requester wants the ability to link the part weight units to the drawing reported weight. In this scenario, the units for the displayed weight in the drawing is still controlled by the part. While it is definitely a better scenario than not having it.....the problem with this scenario is that if you change the weight units at the part level, the drawing will still change, even though nothing actually changed with regards to the part (fit, form, function, color, anything!) Which will drive an update to the drawing. Which some companies will require a new version in the PDM system and others might require a new revision.

In SPR 400129, the requester wants the ability to report the weight of the part, using the units from the drawing document. This would mean that, no matter what the units are set to at the part level, the drawing will not update. This is the ideal situation.

I am going to get in touch with my VAR to have Solidworks re-open SPR 400129 because they are NOT duplicate! Not by any stretch of the imagination!

This has long been a problem for us, I never thought about the option of the drawing having units, but I think you are right, SPR 400129 would be a nice option, but at the same time, it would be nice to have a unit property from part, for example for BOMs created in assemblies.

I didn't think about BOM's in assemblies.  But still, the BOM in the assembly should be using the units from the Assembly....NOT the part.   Or at least by default using the assembly units with the option of overriding it by using the part units.

Bjorn Hulman

Having the same issue. Long dealt with the problem manually, but I'm going through a new series of 'refinements' to our drawing templates and my MD wants to eliminate all user error. Linking units would be a great advantage. We use the custom properties tab to enter all metadata, but leaving unit choice to the user still exposes the process to unnecessary error, one that shouldn't really have to be part of our drawing checklist. Where we at Solidworks?? Should be pretty simple, get an intern onto it.