11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 7:33 PM by Mel Kolodechik

SELECTING SUFRACES

Tony Cerniglia
      Please submit enhancement requests for a "Pro-Engineer like" Surface and Boundry command.
      In Pro, you can select a "seed surface" and a "boundry surface". When the command is finished it gathers all surfaces from the seed up to the boundry. For any of you that need to gather surfaces from translated parts (mold and die designers especially) this is a major time saver. From there you can do a surface knit etc.

THX!!!
        • SELECTING SUFRACES
          Philippe Keirse
          Tony,
          I agree.
          Do you have the path of the enhancement request?
          • SELECTING SUFRACES
            Roland Schwarz
            UG has had that since '95 or earlier. Very handy.
            • Re: SELECTING SUFRACES
              Mel Kolodechik

Tony's request go back a number of years, has this request ever been implemented?

Charles Culp

I have not used Pro/E's surfacing tools. Is this the same as extend face in SolidWorks? This tool was enhanced in SW 2009; and may actually work as required.

If not, can you post a screenshot of what you are trying to do? (perhaps, if you do not have Pro/E available, a screenshot of the existing surfaces in SolidWorks)

Mike Price

Charles,

ProE allows you to grab one surface (the seed) then grab another surface (bound) which will select all of the surfaces beginning with the seed up to the bounding surface.

The picture below is a SW part where the bottom of the pocket would be the seed and the top surface would be the bound.  If the functionality were the same, you would get all of the surfaces of the pocket, fillets included.

seed bound.jpg

However, I think SW somewhat comes close to the functionality in that you can create a zero offset surface of the pocket.  I can almost get all of the pockets surfaces by just dragging a selection box around the pocket.  I played with it a little and I couldn't get all of the surfaces selected by using a drag box, (got all but two of them), but maybe there is a "this is the way you get them all" method.

Regarding this technique, the advantage is helping with regeneration time by patterning a set of seed/bound surfaces and then making a cut or protrusion based upon the arrayed surfaces.  It is a significant regen time reduction in ProE.  The way Solidworks and ProE does patterning with efficiency however is very drastic.  Unfortunately SW just can't do the intense patterning ProE is capable of doing.

Mike