1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 1:38 PM by Amit Katz

Simulate Large Particulate Being Caught by Screen

Jonathan Tweddle

Hi, I am looking to simulate Water and Solids running through the inside of a perforated tube.

The perforations are 0.375" Diameter and the solids are 0.5in dia, therfore none of the particles should pass through.

I have created a particle study and made two Injections. Injection 1 is water. Injection 2 is Iron at 0.5" Diameter.

I then ran the particle study and it shows a number of the 0.5" Diameter Iron particals reaching the outlet. This is not possible as the perforations are only 0.375" therfore they should not pass through the cylindrical screen.

Can anyone please help out? Many Thanks in advance!

• Re: Simulate Large Particulate Being Caught by Screen
          Amit Katz

The particle simulation is only meant to show how a theoretical zero-volume particle would travel through the different pressures in your fluid. The fact that some particles are deflected and some pass through is a function of the particle velocity vector either hitting a wall or not, the size is not taken into account here.

The particle size and density is only used to compute resistance to flow and buoyancy.