2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2008 12:45 AM by Christopher Thompson

Surfacing VS regular Features

Robert Huddleston
      We have some problems with people using complex surfacing comings in models that can be generated without using them, any one have any pro's or con's either way. From everything that I can see by simply planning your model before you start you can model most things with out the delete faces and offset faces and replace faces, which to me just jumble a feature tree, and most of the time if you try to make revisions to the model with surfacing commands being used the model almost always fails.

Robert Huddleston
      Product Designer / CSWP
      SW 2008 sp4
        • Surfacing VS regular Features
          Roland Schwarz
          Don't know how to fix, except to hire more talented designers., or at least ones that aren't too lazy to understand a feature tree.

The real test of a CAD modeller is not what they can make, but what they can change.
            • Surfacing VS regular Features
              Christopher Thompson
              Have you read Matt Lombards book SolidWorks Surfacing and Complex Shape Modeling? This book provides examples of when to use those specific surfacing commands.

As with a similar command in Pro-E, I find the replace face very helpful in replacing the portion of the solid that needs to represent the shape of the surface. Likewise, offset faces are useful in thickening ( In most situations, I prefer shell) a surface or extruding up to a surface. Delete and patch is a great tool for removing small faces and blending into the neighboring model geometry. The problem occurs when these tools are overused. Overuse can cause lazy modeling habits, but in moderation is it beneficial.

As the model tree can become rather large using surfaces, I suggest grouping surfacing features together in folders to make things more manageable. Also, use delete bodies to remove surfaces that are no longer needed downstream in the model. If the model is blowing up due to changes, the problem is not using surfaces but rather the method used to construct the surface. In that case, your coworkers need to get themselves some proper training so their models are easier to edit.

Chris Thompson
              SolidWorks Office Premium 2007
              Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2.0 & 3.0