2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 7:23 AM by Lukasz Rybacki

Dynamic lists with two different strings.

Lukasz Rybacki

Hello Forum!

Our company is launching EPDM, and I'm the administrator. I'm doing my best to set up as much stuff from day one as possible. So far it was going great but I came to a point where I need some help. Our PDM is going to work with EFACS MRP system. Therefore I will be getting some data imported (as lists) from MRP system, so we do not have to manage them in two places. One of them is Suppliers list. The problem is that I will be pushing them back to MRP as one of the variables on XML BOM export. Problem details are that I have to push back in the value that is in New Vendor Code but it is only 8 characters. Therefore it cannot hold the whole company (supplier name). This means that it will not be practical to use it as what is displayed on PDM side. The challenge is how to make it so the value displayed is what is in Vendor Name, but into the variable actually is pushed what is in New Vendor Code.

I don't want to use Alias with Text, as the supplier list is dynamic (list Imported from an outside SQL database), and I don't want to update it manually.

I found a way of importing both fields into one list and I want to use this trick that I found on this forum

Getting two variables from an Alias data card list 

I'm going to use a dropdown list to display list with mentioned two fields imported as Vendor Name [New Vendor Code]. So it looks ok.

I'm going to add a hidden field (for everybody but Admin) with an Input Formula that will cut off everything except New Vendor Code and drop it into the variable.

Anyone has got a better idea?

All comments are welcome:)

Best Regards

Lukasz Rybacki

• Re: Dynamic lists with two different strings.
          Michael Dekoning

AFAIK, this is the only option you have with a list from a SQL Database. Not sure why you would hide the New Vendor Code control though. You could add some spaces between the vendor name and new vendor code and set the width of the drop-list control so that the users wouldn't see the new vendor code. That would make it appear that you are using an alias list. You can use the Find function to get the location of the [ charater so the number of spaces wouldn't matter.

• Re: Dynamic lists with two different strings.
              Lukasz Rybacki

Hi!

Thank you Michael for your answer! Good to hear that I was on the right trail with this! I will set this up tomorrow at work.

The reason I want to hide the box with New Vendor Code is because I want to eliminate confusion and reduce the amount of fields that are visible for the users. This will be a non editable field anyway, and the PDM user doesn't really care about the code of the Vendor. All they want to do is pick the correct one, and what is going on behind the scenes is not important to them.

Thanks!

Best Regards

Lukasz