AnsweredAssumed Answered

Left and Right Handed Parts.... (Mirroring)

Question asked by Dave Bear on Aug 6, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 by Dave Bear

Hi Guys,

I've created a right handed engine part. I need an identical version for the left hand side of the engine. Now I know that I can mirror the right hand part which would give me the left hand part and then I could 'hide' the right hand part. The problem is that if I now save this part as "left hand manifold" for example, it's file size is much larger than it's counterpart purely because realistically it contains the data of two parts. My understanding is that I can't mirror the initial part and then completely delete the original which would leave just the mirror because the mirror is born from the initial part and deleting it would take the mirror also. Therefore I'm in a situation where I'm going to eventually have a final assembly (complete engine) that will consist of many identical left and right handed parts but with an over increased total file size due just to mirroring.......

Is there a better way for me to do this? Can I indeed mirror an object (part) and save it as it's own full property that is no longer reliant on it's inherited design?

Dave.

Outcomes