35 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 4:47 PM by John Stoltzfus

SW Help File Switched languages?

Sarah Dwight

Has anyone had a problem with the SW Help file switching languages?

Working in SW16 clicked the ? button, searched a phrase, and BAM Japanese???

Of course it won't find anything matching those keywords if the help file is searching in the wrong language..

And it got stuck like that.

Unless SW knows something I am unaware of about myself, I don't read Japanese.

Note: It did switch back to English when I exited and restarted the help file.

• Re: SW Help File Switched languages?
          Seetharam Misro

Hi Sarah,
              Please try the following :

(1)Close your Help Viewer, clear cookies in IE and re-launch the Help Viewer from Solidworks.
          (2) If the above doesn't fix it, please click on the logo. It should take you to the root page where you can manually switch the language.logo_click.png  help_lang.png

Thanks

Seetharam

Dave Bear

Wow, that's bizarre !!!!

Sarah Dwight

UPDATE: SW Help File is still at it! I have gotten my VAR involved, but no solution yet.

Also it isn't just deleting phrases that cause the issue.

I searched "units" then picked an area and sub-area to refine my search and got Japanese instead.

A restart of SW got me the real results, but I can't do that every time I need help.

Dave Bear

Hi Sarah,

Not sure of what version of Windows you are running but do this to see what date you upgraded to SP4 and show the language files at the same time. Go into Windows Explorer, and navigate to this folder on your C: drive (If that is the drive SolidWorks was installed to)

C:> Program Files > SOLIDWORKS Corp > SOLIDWORKS > lang

Within this directory are all of your language folders amongst other things. These folders would have been upgraded too when you upgraded to SP4 so just look at the 'Date Modified' column in the preview (Right side of screen) if shown for the country folders i.e. Chinese, Russian etc.

Dave.

***** EDIT *****

Here's an afterthought.........

What if you were to delete those other language folders (NOT English) but leave them sitting in the recycle bin in Windows in case you have to restore them. Or, copy them and move them to a temporary file elsewhere an then delete them. If Solidworks can't access them accept for English, maybe it will default to that in the future. Not the ideal solution I know, but.....................................

Sarah Dwight

Thanks Dave. Looks like I updated 08/09/6. Which is four days after this post... so maybe not an SP4 problem?

Dave Bear

If it happens 'everytime' you use online help I'd suggest perhaps you do some playing around when you have some spare time and see if removing the language files corrects it? Or maybe do a re-install of SP4 and deselect the other languages may be a more professional take on it.........

Dave.

Sarah Dwight

It isn't 'every time' though. It is sporadic.

Dave Bear

That's going to make the process of elimination a little more trickier!

Do you really need the other languages installed anyway?

Sarah Dwight

So weirdly enough I don't think I do, not for 2016 anyway.

I have both 2015 and 2016 installed and when I checked for languages only English is saved in the 2016 folder.

I have been thinking about uninstalling both, doing a clean sweep, and reinstalling them both.

Jim Wilkinson

I doubt you have any other languages installed and I doubt making any changes to your installation will make a difference here. When you hit the help button in SOLIDWORKS with web help turned on, it goes to the internet. From there on when you are searching, browsing, etc. everything is done on the web help servers and has nothing to do with your installation so I don't think this has anything to do with your installation so going down that path is a red herring. From what you have said so far, it always works properly to bring up the help in English when you hit the ? button (or at least does if you close the web help browser so it restarts the browser when you click the ?).

So, we need to figure out why it would be switching languages randomly while you are browsing the web help. From what you have said so far, it only happens when you search or start filtering the search, is that correct? Also, you mentioned "deleting phrases" a couple of times. Do you mean clearing out the search field and entering something else? If I can learn more about the cases when this has happened, I can have my web help developer look into it to see if something is going wrong on the web help servers. By the way, the unit search example above is exactly the type of info I need (the sequence leading up to the problem). Unfortunately, I've tried to reproduce it and it doesn't happen for me and I am guessing it won't reproduce for you, is that correct?

Thanks,

Jim

Sarah Dwight

So I am using the help file today and have already gotten these two screens.

All I was doing was filtering my search, by clicking the little X's on Areas and sub-Areas on the left side of the help window.

Not true SW. I closed the window and started using it again right away.

I clicked the X to get rid of Routing results and lost them all to get a Spanish(?) message.

Nice try SW, I can read this better than Japanese, but it's still not helpful.

Dave Bear

Uh Oh !!!!!

Not good SW............. Your machine seriously doesn't know what it wants to do does it Sarah?

Jim Wilkinson

Thanks for the update Sarah and especially for the screenshots which helps me understand what exactly you are doing. I was able to now reproduce both of these problems and both seem related to choosing to exclude a large number of areas/sub areas with the "x". The first problem with the message indicating that the web help is offline appears to be caused by the number of search filters growing to create a URL that gets truncated. When the URL gets truncated, the web help comes back with a URL not found message and our custom web help browser incorrectly interprets the web help being offline because of it. The second problem of the language randomly changing (and if you look at the URL in the title bar of your screenshot, the version actually has also changed) also seems to be caused by excluding a large number of areas or sub areas on a particular search. However, reproducing it seems very random so I don't know exactly what is going wrong.

In any case, I am having the developer of the web help look into the issues and I'll post back when I have more information on a resolution.

Thanks,
                                    Jim

Jim Wilkinson

By the way Sarah. I do hope you know that you can filter by one specific area or sub area as an alternative to excluding a bunch of areas or sub areas. This is how most people use the filters and probably why we haven't heard of these issues with excluding a lot of areas/sub areas. So, for instance, with your search for "calculated value custom property", you can click on the text of "Detailing and Drawings (5)" and it will filter down to just the 5 results for that area. You can then filter again by the two sub areas. Or, you can select on "Detailing and Drawings" again to unselect that filter and then select a different area as a filter such as Parts and Features. This may be a lot quicker to get to the help topic you are looking for than selecting a lot of areas and sub areas to exclude and still have a large list of results to look through.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Sarah Dwight

Thanks Jim! I did not know that you could un-filter by selecting the title.

In the past this just tried to filter it down further and I got the zero results message.

I know most times the areas I don't want to look in, so filtering out areas is super helpful.

It just happens that there are lots of areas for things I don't use or don't have access to... such as simulation, routing, weldments, PDM, motion, sheet metal, sustainability, etc. and so I want to just get rid of those right away.

I will try to use multiple filters sparingly or as you suggested above. Thanks again!

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Sarah,

We have fixed the problem and updated the web help servers so you should no longer encounter the problem of the web help thinking the web help is down and in maintenance mode when you exclude too many areas or sub-areas. So, I would appreciate it if after using the help for some time, you can confirm that you are no longer getting the problem of the web help thinking it is offline. Of course, if you do encounter it, please post back with details.

Note that before this fix was implemented, I was only able to reproduce the language problem a couple of times and it was random and not reproducible when doing the same exact steps. However, now that we have put the fix in for the truncate URL when excluding many areas/sub-areas, I have not been able to reproduce it at all. So, please post back details with full screenshots if you do encounter it again and I will investigate further. If you no longer encounter it at all, sharing that information would also be useful.

Thanks again for providing the detail to help us understand what was going wrong.

Jim

Bob Van Dick

I've never seen this behavior before.  But if it did happen to me, it would be no loss, as I have found SolidWorks Help to be useless whenever trying to use it....