4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 9:19 PM by Teresa Abbott

DXF's really bog her down..

Tom Nicholson
      Why is it that a dxf that is imported really slows down the computer? Is there anything I can do differently to the dxf or in options that will help with this?

• DXF's really bog her down..
          Rodney Hall
          I import .dxf files from RF PCB designs with only trace paths on the surfaces of the PCB. These are done in layers per face, back, PCB material etc...
          They import slowly but get even worse when a layer has overlaping or multiple entities sharing the same space. If gaps exist at junctures or endpoints of entities, then extrudes or cuts using the sketch will fail until I clean up the entities. It is a real PITA! One of those things with SWX that I have just learned to try to deal with.
            Tom Nicholson
            I'll try that philippe, anything has to be better with how well its working now :/
                Teresa Abbott
                I have found that issue as well. When I convert our old dxf files to solidworks, I first open them in DWGeditor and delete all possible lines - especially 'solid' filled areas which are nothing more than a ton of close-drawn lines. The fewer the number of lines it has to deal with, the faster Solidworks can handle/solve the data. It's more work up front, but a big help if anyone ever needs to edit anything on the print ever again!