13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2018 6:14 AM by Jost Valic

ENVELOPES IN DRAWINGS

Jim Steinmeyer

Ok, I thought I had figured out how to work my drawings to to be able to have the assembly calculate the weight of the assembly without adding the weights of the reference components (make the ref parts an envelope). However today I placed an assembly in a drawing and after doing the dimensions I made an envelope of the reference model. as can be seen below my envelope is basically transparent allowing the decals from the other side show through. I did use the "Show Envelope" option in the drawing view to get the envelope to show at all. This is supposed to be a shaded view as seen in the second shot.

Short of dumb texting in either the weight information or making the title block reference a configuration without reference parts and placing it off the screen, is there a way to get my views to show in shaded form?

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

The actual weight should be 4.65 pounds.

Thank you

• Re: ENVELOPES IN DRAWINGS
          Mitch Stilborn

Hey Jim,

I solve this challenge by not using envelopes, but instead setting the part to Exclude from BOM and doing an assembly-level Override Mass Properties to set their weight to 0.  Because the mass override is being done in the assembly level where you want them visible but not contributing to the mass, the override isn't affecting the property of the sub-assembly, so you can still use the subassembly elsewhere and have its mass calculate correctly.  This is how I handle things like decal packages that are designed as a configuration of a top-level assembly.  In the decal package configuration, everything else is set to Exclude from BOM and overridden to 0lb.

Please let me know if that method doesn't work for you or if I've misunderstood your issue.

Hope that helps,

Mitch

Paul Risley

To muddy the waters and add in a new wrinkle. When we do weight calculations on assemblies we have a material in our database that is Purchased part zero. We apply this material to all purchased components not needed in weight analysis. (Whew typed that right on the first try.) In our custom properties we have it set up not to recognize the zero portion of the material so in the Bom it just says purchased.

Mitch Stilborn

That'd do it too.  Haha I'm starting to feel bad for the O.P.: good luck selecting just one of these responses to mark as the "Correct" answer.

I guess it depends on how flexible you need to be, and what you're using your weights for.  The problem with assigning a part-level material property is that the weight for that part will always show up as 0, everywhere.  If an assembly-level override is used, the component's weight can still display properly if it is used elsewhere.  I use the temporary override in an upper-level assembly almost exclusively, because at my work we always need accurate top-level model weights and sub-assembly weights for shipping, material handling, etc. and I only override the weights of side-configurations for things like decal kits.  But that's just our work environment; each is different.

Paul Risley

Mitch,

The way we use it is we have different configurations for purchased parts. Cylinders that are flexible, cylinders fixed and cylinders in extend, retract position. I could go on, but the point I am going to make is that you can(And we do) apply materials to purchased parts based on configuration.

Simple example I have a wear plate(A2 hardened to rockwell 55), I make a configuration of this wear plate and change the material for that configuration to CRS 1018. Now I have the same part make 1 drawing tab the drawing with a second sheet and voila I have 1 part to maiontain but w/ 2 different materials.

We apply this same principal to pur parts the weight zero is applied to a specific configuration. All other configurations not needing the designation are simply purchased part and whatever material needs to be applied.

I hope that makes sense, (In my head it does, but it's Friday afternoon.)

One more thing to apply this the way I am talking about RMB on material at the top of your tree there is an option to configure material. It really is that simple. Sometimes SW does not make you work real hard you just have to know what you are looking for.

Peter Brinkhuis

We recently added a material called "Mass override" to the material database so it can be added to purchase parts. Now every model can have a material added. Something had to be done after a design turned out to weigh 14 tons instead of the 8 tons that it seemed to weigh.