8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 11:08 PM by Michael Dekoning

Rename a Variable

Michael Dekoning
      Is it possible to rename a variable that is used in a template without having to recreate the template?

Mike
        • Rename a Variable
          Jeff Sweeney
          A template variable? You can always edit templates rather than recreating them.
          • Rename a Variable
            Michael Dekoning
            Jeff,

Just to be clear, I'm talking about templates in the PDMWE Administration tool used to create projects, folders, etc. not SolidWorks template files. On advice from our VAR we added a prefix to our variables. I want to get rid of the prefix, but when I rename a variable it screws up the template that uses it.

Mike
            • Rename a Variable
              Jeff Sweeney
              Yup, I'm still with you. The variables used in PDMWE templates are called template variables. Very often putting a prefix in front of their names is a good thing to keep them from being confused with regular variables.

I have renamed template variables before, I can't imagine what would be screwing your up. Keep your eye open, there are many little nooks and crannies that template variable could be used in step 4 of the template editor. Perhaps you missed one?
                • Rename a Variable
                  Joy Garon
                  Hi Mike -

If the template variable is coming from a Template Input Form (step 3 in the wizard), make sure the card variable is mapped to the renamed template variable.

Also, it is good practice to prefix template variables (I use t_ ) so as not to confuse template variables with card variables. This is something I teach all VARs.

Joy
                    • Rename a Variable
                      Michael Dekoning
                      Hi Joy,

I've done that as well. After I renamed 'ABC_Product' to 'Product'. I replaced it in the template input form and mapped the renamed card variable to the template variable. However, I see 'ABC_Product' with a red circle with a white x in the card variable list in step 3 of the wizard.

When I use the template I get a message- The variable 'ABC_Product', which is used by the template, does not exist in the vault. Please add a variable with this name using the card editor.

It's as if the card variable is still attached to the input card even though I removed (renamed) it.

Mike
                      PDMWE 2008 SP4
                        • Rename a Variable
                          Joy Garon
                          Mike -

Without seeing your exact setup, it's difficult to say where exactly the problem is... Another place to check is in Step 4 of the wizard. Ar you copying the variables to the resulting file data card? You must look eveywhere it is being used and fix it. If it takes too lond, then it may be faster to just re-create the template.

Joy
                    • Rename a Variable
                      Michael Dekoning
                      Joy,

I created a new variable, input card and template to test this out. I was able to rename the variable. I'll get our VAR to help me determine why this won't work with our existing templates.

Mike
                      • Rename a Variable
                        Michael Dekoning
                        My VAR found the problem in my existing templates. I hadn't gone through the folders in the template and cleared out the variable references under properties. Oh well, another entry for my "PDMWorks for Dummies" book (with me as the dummy!).