18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 12:10 PM by Mono Tovarisj

ARGGH! Sheet formats and different paper sizes

Mono Tovarisj

How do I make a sheet format that will adjust to different paper sizes?

I want my title block to stay in the bottom right corner, and I want the border to adjust.

When I make my sheet format normally, and change the paper size the title block doesn't stay in the corner, and I have no way to "mate" it to the paper edge.

This is completely silly, that means I have to create the same sheet format in 10 different paper sizes, and if I want to make a change I need to start all over again.

Is there a smart way to do this or has Solidworks really dropped the ball on this. In Inventor you can just mate to the paper edge and then everything follows the paper size.

• Re: ARGGH! Sheet formats and different paper sizes
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't know of any way to have the title block stay in the corner when changing paper sizes, but you said "that means I have to create the same sheet format in 10 different paper sizes, and if I want to make a change I need to start all over again."  Once you've created a sheet format you can save it for later use.  I'm not sure what you mean about starting all over again.

John Stoltzfus

Number one SW isn't "inventor"  - and yes you need to create a template for every drawing size, but can't you create a title block that fits all and then you need to redo the outside border, only ...

Peter De Vlieger

As mentioned, make your title corner a block which means that you only have to deal with creating the different outside borders for the different sizes and you will be able to just copy&paste the title block in. Mating the title block to the border lines while in edit sheet format mode.

I do understand and know your frustration. It does mean that if after making 8 different sizes you come to the conclusion that the title block needs an adjustment that you'll have to revisit each and every paper size again.

Perhaps a small consolation for you but for me it's not just the different page sizes, it's also having different company information and logo's (sister / daughter companies) and to top if all of, each and everyone in 3 different languages.

One way to ease the burden a bit (which by VAR pointed out to me) is by not making a sheet template for each sheet format but instead start always from the same sheet template which comes with it's own sheet format and then switch to the sheet format that you need. The sheet template really only holds the information of the 'drafting standard' and that it's initially linked to a particular sheet format. That way you only have one file to adjust if it so happens that you need to make a change in your 'drafting standard' settings.

Mono Tovarisj

When I make it a block it breaks the title block table. As you cannot have a title block table inside a block. :-(

Maybe I just have to live with not using the title block table.

Matthew Lorono

First, please see my other comment in this forum.  Second, this may be a point for you because you are used to working with a particular workflow from a previous CAD application.  Each CAD application uses different workflow to achieve similar goals.  Some workflows are better than others.  If you use the intended workflows in SOLIDWORKS, you should be able to achieve the final results that you need.  In this case, if you have SW2016, you can use Automatic Border to pretty much emulate the workflow to which you are accustomed.  Even still, whether you have SW2016 or prior, it is recommended that you create sheet formats for each of the sizes that you require. 

When you change your sheet size, you can also load the sheet format for that size at the same time.  In my opinion, this is actually a more robust method, since it allows you to automatically adjust the title block to differences required by different sheet sizes (particularly if you are switching between A and B and C sizes or from landscape to portrait).  It's a one or two step process to choose sheet format and size at the same time in the Sheet Properties dialog.

If you are using different sheet sizes for different sheets of the same drawing, I recommend turning on the Document Property "Show sheet format dialog when adding new sheet".  You may also wish to use the Document Properties in the Drawing Sheets area.

I would suggest contacting your VAR if you need some guidance to setting up your sheet formats and drawing templates.

Peter De Vlieger

Mono,

see SOLIDWORKS – Define Title Block Table - YouTube

Mono, don't keep the block as a block once positioned. Just use it as a block to position it initially. Then explode the block.

Using a non print layer place points for instance to help situate text or so. Once the block exploded you can always see if you can't use the 'fix' command to make sure nothing goes walkies while you finishing setting things up.

Matthew Lorono

If you are using SW2016, you can use Automatic Border tool.  This will resize automatically based on your drawing size.  If you attach the sketch elements of your title block to the border and lock down the sketch with relations, you should be able to achieve what you need.

In SW2015 and prior (and really in SW2016 too), you can still simply load the proper sheet format for the size you choose at the same time you change the size in the Sheet Properties dialog.

Mono Tovarisj

So for now I have descided to go with making a block, live with having to make the title block table again for every sheet size and position image and the block.

I have also descide to go with the 10 mm margin so I don't have to deal with the automatic border bug.

Hopefully this will be better in the future, when it's possible to mate with the border without it breaking.