3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 11:13 AM by Aaron Torberg

Cannot remove a configuration specific properties - Why???

Aaron Torberg

Okay, we use the @ tab of the data card pretty exclusively so when data is entered on the configuration specific tabs it wreaks havoc on our users.  I have a few parts that have been checked into the vault with configuration specific properties that I would like to remove, so I do this:

Check out the file

open the properties window

navigate to the custom properties tab

remove the unwanted properties entirely

rebuild, save

view the data card to see my changes have remove the properties from tabs other than the @ tab

check the file in

The problem is when I view the data card after all of this the properties still exist...???  Where is the option to clear the values?

• Re: Cannot remove a configuration specific properties - Why???
          Michael Dekoning

If the PDM properties are mapped to SOLIDWORKS file properties then the properties will be created if they don't exist. You say you use the @ tab almost exclusively so why don't you check the card controls' "Updates all configurations" option to ensure that the values are the same. I wonder why you are updating the properties in the file instead of the data card.

Aaron Torberg

Hey Michael, because the configuration specific properties take priority over the normal properties of a part if the configuration specific properties are not accurate (they dont match the properties on the @ tab) the BOM may display information the user does not want based on the configuration specific property, not the value they expect from the @ tab.

Michael Dekoning wrote:

I wonder why you are updating the properties in the file instead of the data card.

That's what boggles me - I can delete the row from the custom properties dialog box, view the data card, and the values are not present - but as soon as I check the file back in the values show up again...?  If I check the file back out the deleted configuration specific properties are not present and the data card does not show them, but when I check it in they show up again...?  It doesn't matter if I do this from the custom properties dialog, or the data card the results after check in are the same.

I did figure out how to remove them but I have to say it is not the most elegant solution.  I have to remove them from the custom properties dialog box in the model, save and close the model (even though the properties re-appear), and then visit the file in explorer and edit the data card from there using the save button in that view.

Dwight Livingston

Aaron

In the Properties window, you want to navigate to the "Configuration Specific" tab and delete the unwanted properties for each configuration. Don't delete the value, delete the property.

This works for me, but maybe I misunderstood your question.

Dwight